Chapter 9- Red Flags

As you woke up that morning, the usual sound of rain pattering on your roof greeted your ears. The previous night, your room had been unusually hot, so you had opened the window. The scent of rain permeated your room, a reminder of the lingering humidity in the air. Although it was only September, you didn't mind the warm weather as long as you didn't have to run. Feeling a bit groggy, you groaned and reached for your phone.

Checking your notifications, you saw a message from your mom, sent an hour ago. She mentioned that she was on her way back and would probably arrive by tonight. It seemed like she drove through the night to reach home. Setting your phone aside, you got dressed, opting for the same purple shirt your boss had given you. Due to financial constraints, you had to make do with what you had, though you made sure to keep your shirts clean. After brushing your teeth, you reached for your makeup bag, intending to apply eyeliner, but you couldn't find it.

Perplexed by the missing eyeliner, you decided to forget it for the day. Heading downstairs to the kitchen, you noticed the waffle maker still in the sink, reminding you of a failed breakfast attempt. Disappointed, you silently resolved to buy a new one. After discarding the broken machine, you put on your shoes, realizing that you had to take Miah to work with you once again since she had one more day off from school. Although you didn't mind her company, you didn't want to burden Jenna with looking after her. Just as you thought about it, you heard Miah descending the stairs.

"Miah, get your shoes on," you called out from the kitchen.

"I know," she replied. You exited the room and found her wearing eyeliner.

So that's where it went,

"Is that mine?" you asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah... I borrowed it," she responded in an annoyed tone. You rolled your eyes.

"Maybe ask before you take my stuff?" you scoffed. She rolled her eyes and leaned against the door.

Since your car was left at work the previous day, you had to walk to the bus stop. You remembered him mentioning he would help you fix your car. Opening the door, you instructed Miah to stay by your side during the walk so she wouldn't get lost.

"I know," she replied, walking out. You followed behind her, but her pace seemed unusually fast, as if she didn't want to walk with you.

"Miah, slow down. There's no reason to rush, we have time if that's what you're worried about," you slightly shouted.

"It's not my fault you're so slow," she retorted. Assuming she was joking, you didn't pay it much mind. Both of you reached the bus stop and waited there. The rain had stopped before you left the house, but the streets were still wet, and the air carried a dampness. Most people disliked the smell of rain, but you enjoyed it. Standing next to you, your sister had her headphones in, and you sensed that she wasn't in a good mood. Feeling tired, you sighed and decided not to make small talk.

After a few minutes of waiting, the bus arrived, and you held Miah's hand as both of you boarded. Paying your fare, you settled in the back to avoid occupying too much space. The bus was fairly empty, with only about six people on board, which was expected. You found two seats in the far back and sat down, expecting Miah to sit next to you. However, she chose to sit a couple of seats away. Finding it peculiar, you didn't dwell on it much.

7:20 AM.

I have enough time

As the bus rolled along, you leaned against the window, watching the trees pass by. The gentle sound of the wind hitting against the bus almost lulled you to sleep. When the bus finally stopped, you and your sister got off and prepared for a short walk to the parking lot. The peacefulness of the moment enveloped you.