Execution

I knew my father wanted me dead, but wasn't an execution a bit much? The king and Leo walked away as the guards came towards us. We were about to fight back, until they drew thick bats. 'Plan?' I whispered to Archie.

No answer. I looked at him. 'We can't escape a kingdom. Don't resist.'

'You better be right about this. I'm gonna kill you if you aren't.'

Archie lifted his hands up and shrugged. 'I'll be dead anyway.'

I scoffed, secretly thankful the idiotic jokester was by my side through this all.

Boiling, blinding, battered lamps hung from a cracked, stained roof. I was sitting on a rough surface. Next to me was Archie, sleeping soundly. I nudged him awake. 'Yeah?' he grumbled.

'We're in a prison cell Archie. We're going to die in less than ten hours.'

In front of us were rusted copper poles. He sighed. 'Thanks, Mr Positive.'

'We need to get out of here,' I ordered.

'How?'

He stood up and placed his hands on the bars. Sparks danced on the poles before a very potent electric shock zapped the entirety of the cage door – and Archie's hands. Archie leapt back and swung his hand up and down in pain. I looked up at him, enjoying his dance. 'You alright, Arch?' He looked at me with anger, not saying a word. 'Sorry, buddy. How good are you at picking locks?'

Still wordless, he lifted up his hand. 'Usually, I'm good. But, well, you can see.' 'Do you think you could do it?

I smiled. 'Won't know unless I try.'

I walked toward the padlock. 'What are you gonna use?' Archie asked from behind me.

Reaching down, I pulled a small knife from my shoe. I reached out of the cell and held the lock with one hand. Using the tiny bit of knowledge Archie taught me about pick locking, I pushed the knife as far in as it would go. Next, I wiggled it around and waited for a click. Eventually, it came. I quietly opened the cell door, and carefully stepped out. I opened my arm out like a gentleman to signal Archie to follow me. 'You're welcome.'

'Thank you, good sir,' Archie mocked.

I ran toward the staircase, but a cold object touched my Adam's apple. I slowly walked backwards when the sword pushed closer. Soon, the wielder came into focus. It was the king, a sneer on his face. 'Not gonna be that easy, Kajle.'

Some guards passed him and grabbed Archie. I pulled a flashlight from the guard's table and shone it in their eyes. Temporarily blinded, their grip on Archie loosened enough for him to shake free. He hastily ran at the king in a tackling form. The two fell down onto the floor. The king's sword fell out of his hands. I swiftly picked it up. I went to the two guards while the two got into a hand-to-hand fight. One time, the king ducked, but Archie jumped up. When he got down, he left hooked and then did an uppercut. Once I reached the guards, they tried to attack with their daggers. Each one swung at a different direction. I bent my back to dodge both the hits. The daggers clashed with each other and fell to the ground. I sighed. 'That was stupid.'

'Shut it,' one grumbled.

I kicked at his stomach and stabbed the other one in the chest. The one who had been kicked somehow brought a table down with him. Both were on the floor. I lifted up the bice sword and struck down. I pulled the sword out of the corpse's chest and picked up the fallen daggers. I tossed them to Archie after yelling, 'Archie! Catch!'

He caught them and held them in a criss-cross at his dagger. 'Best throw you've ever done, Prince Castor,' Archie joked.

He and the king were in a corner between the stairs and far left jail cell. All was going well until another set of footsteps slowly came down the stairs. Holding a crimson blade (hilt and all) was Huxf's prince.