Loyalty's a Myth

Now, I know I had just been shot with two arrows and hit my head on a tree, but I wasn't delusional. There is not a single face that looks anything like Leo Huxf's. His eyes were exactly the same: copper all around. But they were sunken and dark. He had his hair the exact same since the day he 'died', yet it looked messy in some areas. Nevertheless, I had around five seconds to appreciate his rising from the dead. Whether it was the pain I had experienced or shock, I passed out as he held out his hand.

I would've loved to wake up with euphoria and determination but was instead filled with humiliation and confusion for fainting after Leo saved me. I found myself sitting against a log larger than Ace, a trillion shades of orange, yellow and red spitting into the moonlight. A tent had been set up next to me, and I saw a boy with a green cloak wink at me. He smiled and walked toward me, holding out his hand. 'You gonna faint again?' he whispered.

'Shut up,' I groaned as he helped me up. We looked into each other's eyes and felt a tear slide down my cheek. I grabbed his shoulders and pulled him in for a hug. 'You're alive,' I muttered through a sob.

'And you're emotional,' he said with a laugh. He pulled back. 'So, I managed to get intel on Vuns during my travels.'

'I don't care. Archie. Where is he?' I asked through a hopeful smile.

Leo's once ecstatic eyes turned sorrowful and heartbroken. His shoulders hunched and shot me a pitiful frown. 'The poison it-it was too powerful. Archie—'

'I don't believe you. If you can survive an army of a hundred men, he can survive a poisoned arrow! You're lying, you're joking. Where is he, Leo?'

He took a step toward me as my knees buckled. 'I know you believe me, Castor. Stop denying it. He's dead. He died a hero.'

'No,' I whispered, weakly hitting Leo's chest.

He hugged me as I felt my tears soak his shirt. 'It's okay Castor, he'll always be in our hearts.'

'That's not good enough, Leo!'

'Sit, Castor. You're extremely heavy.' Through tears, I laughed and sat down next to Leo. I stared at the campfire. 'Listen. Archie was still alive after you left.'

I looked straight at him. 'So?'

'So, he fought alongside me against the army. Lyatar's people still joined us, and we managed to defeat the joint forces of Kajle and Huxf. But the arrow's poison had already spread to Archie's heart by the end of the battle. Doctors tried saving him once he collapsed onto the floor, but it was no use. He had clearly used the remainder of his energy being a hero, a protector. I was with him in his final moments. His last words to me were to tell you he read the letter you wrote to your father the night you left. He said he could never replace you. "You are a king by blood, a hero by choice" he wanted me to tell you.'

I smiled as I put my head in my hands, watering them like plants. 'He should've rested.'

'Yeah, he should've. But, like he said, he'd be himself to the end, and that included sacrificing himself for a good cause.'

Learning that Archie achieved all he wanted was all I wished to hear in my life. I had dealt with his death before; this was no different. Wiping my final tears from my eyes, I went to stroke Ace. I wondered how Leo had coped so much easier than me. Sure, he hadn't known Archie for as long as me, but he didn't seem sad at all reliving what must of have been a horrific moment. 'So, what'd you find out about Vuns?'

'Not a huge amount, but they want to take action. They've sent their best assassins to find and capture you. From there, they'll use you to take down Kajle and its allies. Other than that, I've learnt that it's bigger than anything we've ever seen. The land is ruled harshly by the monarchy, which has the support of the military, but the people are nice, funny, honest and they crave democracy and freedom. It seems you'll have to be a saviour during your retribution. Did you learn anything?'