The Prince of Death

Fidt was... different. Rather than having huge, rusted gates, two colossal trees bristling with leaves served as the entrance of the kingdom. They bent at the top so that they made an archway large enough for a t-rex to fit in. Instead of a cobblestone path, ahead of us was a path of vast palm leaves. To the path's side, cramped trees stood tall like wooden walls – rather than, well, normal walls. Like the first trees, they all curved at the top so that a roof formed. On the walls were blazing torches that lit up the jungle. They continued on to the end of the tunnel. No guards were protecting the entrance either. So, confused written all over us, me, Leo and Archie slowly rode into the jungle. The further we rode, the more the trees spread out. Once we had travelled half a mile, the 'walls' fully extended. Trees were to our left and right like a semi-circle – continuing around the kingdom until they made a full circle. A broad staircase made of sticks were in front of us. To its sides were smaller staircases. It was around 4 A.M., so it was extremely quiet. At the top of the front staircase (the side ones leading to paths in the jungle) was a huge platform with a fountain in the middle. The fountain had a sculpture of an archer in it. Repeating the same layout, three staircases made of timber led to different directions. However, the side staircases pointed toward lots of cottages rather than the jungle. Flying high in the air was the marvellous, mighty moon. It beamed down on the magnificent kingdom. The front staircase, however, lead to the main attractions: libraries, museums, restaurants, shops, and the tremendous castle of the royal family. All of them blended in with the army of trees.

After securing the horses in stables, the three of us began to look for a place to stay as the endless, bespangled ocean of blissful stars winked in the night sky, distinguishing all sadness and replacing it with hope – yet I had almost lost all of mine, the only parts left walking beside me. I saw a shooting star and had nothing to think except: let us be happy. I wondered if it were a sign from Eric telling me he was still with me. We found a small tavern and walked to the desk. Only the quiet clash of knives and forks from those crazy people who ate at this time. Leo grabbed some spare money he had stolen from his father before leaving and paid for an ordinary room. As soon as I got into bed, I swiftly fell into eternal darkness.

'Castor! Castor!' someone said in a hushed voice.

I got up and saw Archie shaking my shoulder. I sleepily rubbed my eyes and yawned. 'Hm?'

'Breakfast,' Leo said as he came into the room.

'I haven't eaten in like... a week.'

'Lucky for you, Prince Castor,' Archie said through a smile, 'we've got a surprise.'

I looked at him. His smile seemed genuine, but his eyes told a different story. They had bags under them, and his eyes looked like cracked glass – as if he had recently cried. 'Archie? Can I talk to you?' I whispered in his ear.

'Nothing happened, Castor,' he snapped back.

I sighed. Something had definitely happened. The only time he had snapped at me like that was when... something bad happened to his sister.

After finishing breakfast (constantly doing eye conversations with Archie), the three of us decided to look for clues on Vuns. Fearing that Kajle's army could've been right behind us, we split up to save time. I went to The Eternal Library, Leo to festivals – where the most people would be –, and Archie went exploring outside of the kingdom... or jungle and see if any kingdoms were nearby. We planned to meet up at 3 P.M., which gave us four hours for research. Notice how I said planned. Then again, nothing goes to plan in my life. '3 P.M. at the tavern. If you're late, then you're dead,' Archie ordered.

I inhaled deeply. 'Nice.'

'Castor, do you even know where the library is?' asked Leo.

'No...' An awkward silence washed over the tavern room. Archie rolled his eyes. 'I'll find it. I hope.'