Darkness and Happiness

It was at that point that I wished we could just turn around, go back to Kajle and say: 'Hi, sorry for running away and leaving you kingless! Oh! And sorry for being responsible for the death of two guards. Oh, yeah! Also, sorry for almost killing a village elder! That's just the beginning! So, what do ya say? Make me your king?'

In my wildest dreams. I knew Archie thought the same because he looked at the first step and sighed. The steps were darker than his hair, each stair having a small gap big enough for a foot to fall in. Smart choice. The stairs were probably about five metres wide, but a banister was on each side. At the end of the nightmare staircase, the massive Kingdom of Juyl stood – or kind-of flew. On each side of the castle, there was a mile wide cliff that went from the ground to the castle floor – about five miles upward. However, at the front and back, there was nothing but air. It was like the builders gave up halfway. Now to the actual kingdom...

It was hard to see all of the kingdom because some of it was in the clouds. What was clear though – 80% of the place. It had to be at least fifteen miles wide (a perfect square) and four miles up. The gates were bronze like my former dagger, the holes between each pole just big enough for a kid to squeeze through. They were about one and a half miles up, stopped by the beginning of Juyl's defences. The wall seemed to have an obsidian like colour and material, and it stretched around the entire kingdom's interior. At the top were small walls, half a metre between each one so that archers and cannons could shoot. In fact, some archers were already on guard, knees going up high enough to hit me in the chin. If you looked at each corner, you'd see a spire that was vaster than a skyscraper. There was only one window in each, and it was just small metal poles filling up a hole. Their roof was a cone sharper than a knife. It occurred to me than that the entire kingdom was a melanoid material and colour – not just the walls, but the spires, armour of the archers were pitch-black. So, the kingdom's exterior was basically what you'd expect from the Devil's favourite place. The counteracting appearances brought a whole new aspect to 'Don't judge a book by its cover'. The outside was Hell, the inside was Heaven.

'Well, see you on the other side,' Archie muttered as he began walking up the stairs.

I sighed and joined him.

After a torturing two hours, me and Archie had finally arrived at the gates. Two soldiers were guarding them, smiling like they were used to visitors being on the brink of death. I looked down, fighting off the urge to lie down and fall asleep. 'ID?' one asked.

I looked up at them. 'I'm the Prince of Kajle. Is that enough for you?'

The other guard's eyes widened. 'Identity theft of a prince results in execution, sir. The prince is at Kajle, and, in fact, he's the king now.'

I sighed. I had forgotten that the identities of the royal families were kept secret for prevention of assassinations and, well, what the guards thought I was doing. I went to reach for my sword. They both reached for theirs, but Archie stopped us by pulling out a crown from his bag. My crown. 'As you can see, I hold the prince, or the king, of Kajle's crown. I'm sure you're both smart men and know it is impossible to fake such a rare artefact so well. Also, look at the prince's weapon. It is the Midnight Blade.'

I smiled – he was on fire, saying each word confidently so that the guards knew exactly what he was saying. When he looked at me, he couldn't help but smile back. Then he faced the men and began talking again – he was only halfway through his very persuasive speech. I had to sometimes look at myself to make sure it was me he was talking about. 'I don't think I'm the prince, anymore,' I mumbled.

Archie chose to ignore that remark. 'Not only that, look at his appearance. As much as it pains me to say it, look at his eyes and hair – only a prince can look that well. Finally, I am his protector, Archie of the Dagger. You are aware I am not lying by my look. Should that not be enough for you, then well I am happy to join my prince in a battle against two random men who probably only got their job because of how they look. Unless, of course, you are the brawn and the brain?'