The Enemy of My Enemy Is My Soulmate

I'd like to say in advance that I'm not a player.

Nodding to the guards running to the library, I walked toward a building with candescent lights bedazzling all of Zulk. I felt a bit self-conscious because everyone was wearing spectacular suits and distinguished dresses, while I was wearing a blood-stained shirt and an outfit I'd been wearing for two months. If it weren't for the lakes in the forest, I'd stink more than an archaic swamp. People gave me judgemental looks the whole way there, but I eventually got inside and headed to a bathroom. I was using wet tissue to wipe off the blood when the door opened. The prince walked in and stood next to me. I subtly looked to his side in the mirror and saw a sword and dagger. 'Can't afford a real suit?' he mocked.

'This is your blood, you idiot. I'm not wasting money on some stupid party that your father's doing to try and un-embarrass himself from when you both got kicked down to the ground within a minute. So, before you make fun of me, remember that I can kill you whenever I want. You have no power over me, and that will never change. You can't even afford classes to learn how to fight. Either that or you're impossibly shit at fighting.'

I smiled sarcastically at him in the mirror and walked to the door. 'Wait. Let me apologise,' he called.

Smirking, I turned around. Just like I expected, he went to reach for his weapons once I was close enough. Except, they weren't there. He looked around to see if he dropped them. 'Looking for these?' I asked as I pulled his sword and dagger from behind my back. When I was leaving, I silently stole the weapons just so he could humiliate himself some more. 'Like I said, no power. Bye, Sam.'

'I-it's Tom, actually.'

'Yeah, I don't care,' I replied while I walked back into the main room.

Tom shortly stormed past me and towards his father. A girl tried to stop him, but he pushed her to the floor. His father was in a room and Tom slammed the door behind him when he got inside. They kept pointing to the girl he had pushed, so they must've been arguing about her. I walked toward her and crouched down. Her hair was a deep coal with silver highlights. We locked eyes. Her eyes were a phenomenal, like a jewellery set of jades – which seemed familiar. Except jades had a price. This girl was priceless; invaluable. My heartbeat quickened. Some butterflies had a party inside my stomach. Am I seriously in love? I thought. I couldn't help but smile. For whatever reason, she did the same. Offering out a hand, I said in a soft tone, 'You need some help?'

'Thanks.'

Once she got up, we didn't let go of each other's hands. Hers were warm, and it was obvious mine were cold since I hadn't got good shelter in ages. She looked into the king's room. 'His father doesn't approve, does he?' She faced me and slowly shook her head. 'Well, my father wants to kill me. You busy?'

'Are you asking me to dance?'

'Your words, not mine.'

I placed a hand on her hip, and hers on my shoulder. The hands we hadn't let go of went up. She was distant, constantly looking at Tom. I was looking at her, though. With the coruscating light shining down on her perfect face, every beautiful detail of the princess' face became clearer than my future – which wasn't hard to compete with. 'You know you're supposed to look at me, right?'

'I'm sorry. I want to break up with Tom, but it's too hard.' She looked deeply into my eyes. 'How much sleep have you had?'

'Erm, two hours.'

'A night?'

I cleared my throat. 'In the past month.'

Her mouth opened slightly like when someone tells you something that you would never guess. 'I'm so sorry. How can you be okay with that?'