Chapter 29 : News All Around

"You're kidding right?" She asked, not believing what he was saying.

"I'm not kidding. The public loves you, they realize that you are young, and the government determined you're not a threat to the nation. You're free," He paused for a moment, "Well as free as I'll let you be." She sighed.

"What is that even supposed to mean?" She asked.

"It means you are still my daughter, and you still have to follow my rules," He said, looking out the window.

"Which are?" She asked, trying to remember the rules she had before everything went wrong.

"Um, let me get back to you on that," He said, starting to walk out of the room.

"Tony..." Alli said as he was at the door. He stopped, turning around slightly just enough to look at her. "Thank you. For everything." He nodded, a smile slightly breaking on his face.

"Of course kid," He turned around, pausing for a minute, "I love you kid." He finished, walking out completely and closing the door behind him. Alli sat on her bed, falling down, and smashing her face into a pillow. She let out a scream, happy that it was finally over.

Life had semi-been going back to normal since she got back, but things hadn't been the same. There had always been a watchful eye on her, and she knew that one stupid mistake could ruin everything for her. Now she could do anything she wanted, and no one would care.

She jumped out of bed, reaching for her phone, and picking it up. She typed Peter's number and it came up within a second. She was about to call him when she realized he was still at school. Instead, she decided to text him.

Really good news, come over after school. He answered in seconds, and she laughed at how little he paid attention in class.

What's the news?!

Come over tonight and you'll find out!

You kill me sometimes, He said, and she just started laughing. She threw her phone away, waiting for Peter to arrive so she could tell him the good news. She decided to go for a jog around the property. She changed into her workout clothes, pulling on her running shoes, and tying back her hair. She walked out of her room, down the hallway, and to the front of the building. She walked outside, taking a deep breath of the fresh air.

Her feet started hitting the ground beneath her as she ran to the trees surrounding the complex. She ran, getting covered by the branches full of leaves. She ran, her feet hitting the ground beneath her hard as she charged through the trees. Something started cracking above her, and she felt her hair beginning to stand on end. She slowed down, starting to take in her surroundings.

She looked up just in time to see lightning strike the tree she was standing next to. The tree split in half, making an ear-piercing sound as the bark shattered from the force of the lightning strike. When the commotion had stopped, she looked up, unplugging her ears. The sky was bright blue above her, and there was no sign that there should have been a lightning strike like that. She felt an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach. She stood there for a few moments, waiting for someone to appear.

When no one came, she shook it out, looking around again. She was still alone and decided it was time to go back. She turned on her heels, kicking up the dirt under her feet, and starting back the way she came. As she got out of the trees, she finally got a clear view of the complex once again. As she was getting closer, she saw the all too familiar red suit swinging in one of the doors. She smiled, realizing that she had been out longer than she thought.

She picked up her pace, running faster to the building. Swinging open the doors, she saw Tony, Pepper, and Peter talking together in a hushed tone at the bottom of the stairs. Peter was fidgeting with his hands as Tony was staring him down, a serious look on his face as his mouth moved a mile a minute. Pepper looked away from the nervous Peter seeing Alli walking towards them. Tony stopped his speech, looking over to see what Pepper was hitting him for. Tony waved her over, as she closed the distance between them. She came up next to Peter who hadn't looked at her since she arrived.