His Loss

~Austin~

"Wait what?" I said shocked.

"I said I'll have the party." Riley smiled.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"That's awesome! I owe you one."

"Yeah you do. Okay, well I should get going. I'm supposed to hang out with my mom tonight before she leaves. Which reminds me, rain check okay?"

"Alright. And thanks for my jacket."

"No problem." she smiled and turned to walk away.

"Riley wait!"

"Yeah?" She stopped and turned around.

"Can you not tell anyone about the uhhh..."

"I promise."

"Thanks"

I watched her leave, and then went back inside. Dad was still pissed cause the remote wasn't working.

"Dad try getting some new batteries."

"Don't tell me what to do." he snarled.

I just walked back to my room and laid down. I was exhausted from this week planning Nicks party, and studying with Riley. Its been a long week. I closed my eyes and ended up falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, good news man. I got everything for your surprise party set and ready to go." I said walking up to Nick.

"Sweet."

"You ready to get wasted?"

"Completely."

"Great. I gotta go, but I'll see you at lunch."

I walked through the hallways until I found Riley standing at her locker getting her books.

"Riley!" I shouted.

She jumped in surprise and looked around to see me calling her name. She shut her locker and walked over to me.

"What's up?"

"Guess what?" I was so excited to tell her the good news.

"What?"

I pulled out a paper from my backpack and held it up in front of her face.

"Austin that's great!" she smiled throwing her arms around me. She grabbed the paper and looked at it. "wow, 32 out of 35 on your English paper. I'm so proud of you. I knew you could do it." she smiled at me.

"Thanks for helping me! I couldn't have done it without you." I tapped her shoulder and walked away.

"Uhh Austin?" She asked.

"Yeah?"

"When are you going to update me on the whole party thing? I mean it is at my house."

"Shh, would you keep it down. It's supposed to be a surprise and if someone tells Nick then it's ruined." I ran up and covered her mouth looking around to see if anyone heard.

"Mmhuhm" I couldn't understand her. I took my hand off her face "what?" I asked.

"I said sorry, I didn't know"

"It's okay. And I'll let you know after school today at tutoring okay?"

"Okay!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Austin get off your phone." Riley kept yelling at me every five minutes. But the party was in two days and I still had a lot to do.

"Sorry" I said clicking off my screen and focusing on her. "what do you need me to do?"

"This." she handed me a paper with a few physics equations on them. "solve."she handed me a pencil and went back to her work.

"This is so boring. Lets talk about the party." I suggested.

Her head popped up and she looked like she actually wanted to talk about it. "what about it?"

"You said you wanted details."

"Yeah after we finish."

"No now."

"Austin no. You need to focus." she said tapping the paper with her pencil.

"Why do you do that?" I asked.

"Do what?"

"Chew on the eraser of your pencil."

"I don't know. I never really noticed that I do. I guess it just helps me focus."

"Hmm"

"Let me guess you think it's gross and dis-"

"I think it's kinda a turn on."

"W-what?" She stammered.

"Not to me. Maybe to that nerd you're dating."

"We aren't dating. At least not anymore." she muttered.

"Why not?"

"He didn't want to see me anymore."

"Why not?"

"Cause I've been tutoring you."

"What?"

"I guess he thought something was going on between us." she laughed.

"Well it's his loss."

I'm not very good at comforting emotional girls, but I think I did a pretty good job.