꧁Chapter 3: school꧂

In which Eloise meets her classmates

            The sun's early rays shining into my room were just enough to wake me with a smile. Two days had passed since my visit to the Barry's and two days had passed of impatient waiting for this moment. Today I would go to school. My heart exploded with excitement and nerves as I jumped out of bed, recoiling as my feet touched the cold floor. I had been planning my outfit over and over and have finally come to a decision. Today, I was was going to wear my favorite pink dress with a flowered print bodice and a matching pink hair bow. I called my mother into my room and asked for her to help me with my hair. She jumped at the chance and began to style my hair while singing my favorite childhood song. 

À la claire fontaine,
M'en allant promener
J'ai trouvé l'eau si belle
Que je m'y suis baigné

Il y a longtemps que je t'aime

Jamais je ne t'oublierai

Sous les feuilles d'un chêne,
Je me suis fait sécher
Sur la plus haute branche,
Un rossignol chantait

She finished my hair by tying in the bow and giving me a kiss on the nose.

"Good luck today, ma fleu. Or as you actors say, break a leg" she assured, leaving my room. I smiled at my reflection in the mirror, it was exactly how I wanted. With a newfound confidence, I finish my breakfast in a hurry and grab a stilll eating Colette.

"Au revoir!" I call to my parents as my sister groans in annoyance. 

"Must you always be in such a rush?" she says. I ignore her protests and continue on, leaving her a few steps behind to complain to herself. A fresh snow had fallen last night, and I look down to see fresh footprints coming from the Andrew's estate. I figured tomorrow I would try to leave earlier so that I had someone to walk with that wasn't complaining and  kicking rocks. Eventually, Colette lost interest in annoying me and we walked in silence until I could see a small schoolhouse over the hill. I pulled my shoulders back and put my head up, making sure to smile but also seem confident. I wanted to give off the best impression I could without coming off as pretentious. I took a deep breath before I opened the door to the schoolhouse, leaving a cloud of smog in front of me. I stepped into the coat room and found an unoccupied rack. I quickly fixed my hair and smoothed my dress before I turned to the main room. The first person to notice I was there was Anne, and she yelled out in delight.

"Oh Eloise! Over here!"

The feeling of twenty five eyes turning silently to face me was horrifying. I'm an actress, I love the spotlight, but not this. Not this at all. I took a step and the eyes followed me. I tried to keep my posture and smile but I could feel myself getting nervous. I tried scanning the room for a familiar face but seeing the eyes staring back at me was much too scary. I sat behind Anne and Diana, next to Priscilla Andrews. I was thankful for a seat near someone that I had been previously acquainted with, but the silence of the room kept me unnerved. Luckily, the eyes began to turn away and noises filled the room once again. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and turned to face Priscilla's smiling face.

"Bonjour Priscilla, I don't think we've spoken properly" I say.

"I don't believe we have!" she replied cheerfully, "You can call me Prissy, everyone does. You have such a wonderful accent!"

I begin to thank Prissy but I am interrupted by our professor clearing his throat. I look at him and try to hold back a laugh. He looks like one of the comic characters I saw when I was young. He has a comedic handlebar mustache that hardly framed his skinny face.