Chapter 7

Niara Adams

I wake up due to some shuffling happening beside me. I open my eyes and squint them when the curtains open up. I drag the covers over my head. Not wanting to get up and face the day. I already had enough. I just want to be in my bed forever. Someone drags the covers from my face. I don't bulge. I know who it is. I press my  face into the pillow. "Get up Niara" Gloria said soothingly. I slowly toss on the bed and turn towards her side. "I don't want to wake up Gloria, let me sleep...please". She sighs and says "Niara listen to me".

"I'm all ears" she sits beside me. I slowly get up and smooth my dress. I sit beside her. She takes my hand in hers. "Do you know that I was also heartbroken once" My mouth wide opens at  her statement. The heartbreaker Gloria was once heartbroken?! That's the strangest thing I had ever heard. She is the person who rejected ever single men. She observes my face and continues "There was this one boy, who used to live beside my house when I was 25. I should say....I used to stalk him, from my room—observing him at night with my lights off." Wow! I imagine younger Gloria stalking that boy.

It feels surreal. "You definitely have some colours in you" I say teasingly. "Stop teasing me like that, I won't tell you what happened" she says. "Sorry, sorry please continue" she nods. "Good, so one time he found me watching him. I thought he would complain to my mother. But he didn't. I thought he would close his windows. But no, instead he once approached me and asked for my name. I said him my name and started to apologise but out of blue he said he likes me" I can see Gloria becoming pale. It sounds tragic.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend and without thinking I said yes. From then onwards we used to hangout together. Soon we became the unbreakable love. I loved him with my whole heart and he too did. On one fine day, he got a call that his father is in his death bed and went to see him" she stopped abruptly. My brows pull together. She takes a deep breath "It seems his father had taken a promise from him that he should have to marry his cousin" same as mine not close but a bit like my story.

"I cried hours and days for him. He said he will convince his dad but it is his last wish. So I did the unexpected I....I broke my ties with him" I never know she has gone through this before. I thought she wanted to leave men behind and live peacefully. "I would have been to Japan only if my depressed self didn't held me back from chasing my dreams. So, all I want to say to you is that, don't cry over men. Use those feelings to achieve your dreams" her whole speech just shocked the hell out of me. She was always there for me. I hug her waist, so many emotions going through my mind "Thank you Gloria, thank you for always being there for me"

She kisses my head "Now go and get ready let's go out". I just nod and make my way to the bathroom. I get in and I find myself on my knees. There was this pain in my chest. He is the only friend I have and only person who loves me with his whole heart. I cover my face with palms and try to be strong but I guess the pain stays for a bit. I hope it disappears soon. I'm not sure if I can continue.

                                <><><><>

I check my phone only to witness a hundred missed calls and texts from jihoo. After the long shower, I took a decision. He will marry Francisca, that's final, for his fathers sake and company's sake. I open his texts

Jihoo: Niara answer me. Please!
Jihoo: I really don't know about it.
Jihoo: I am trying to convince my dad please wait a bit.

I scroll down his texts. Each text was pearcing my brain. I'm sorry jihoo but this is for your own good.

Me: I think you deserve Francisca more than me. That's my wish so don't collapse it. I hope you have a good life jihoo. Take care. Good bye.