49. The Brothers Jones

PRESENT - UNDERWORLD

Cruella, Eliza and Henry were in Cruella's car, and she was driving them somewhere recklessly.

"Can you please slow down?" Henry asked.

"Darling, you and your friend wouldn't be here if you didn't like a little danger," Cruella told him. "I mean, look at you... sneaking away from your family to bring me back to life. Such a naughty boy and girl."

"I just want to find the pen and get this over with and Eliza chose to come. What are we even looking for?"

"A sign, signal, whiff of ink. Look, you're the Author. You're connected to that quill."

Henry and Eliza saw a bright light and pointed at it. "Stop! I saw something."

Cruella stopped the car immediately and the tires screeched as she came to a dangerous stop.

---

Cruella, Eliza and Henry were tracking through the woods, and Cruella wasn't happy about it

"Well, there's no pen here, just dirt and things that smell like dirt," Cruella said.

"I swear I saw it," the twi told her.

"Well, then, move those little legs of yours and keep looking. Go!" She shooed them off before stopping and shuddering.

Henry and Eliza continued to make their way through the woods, and they stopped to look around, when a hand reached out and grabbed their shoulders, turning Henry and Eliza to face them. It was the Apprentice.

"Quiet," the Apprentice told them. "We have little time."

Henry glanced at Eliza before saying, "I don't understand. W-What are you doing here? You were a devoted apprentice to the Sorcerer your entire life. What unfinished business could you possibly have?"

"You, my boy. I am here to prevent you and your friend from making a terrible mistake. You must not resurrect Cruella De Vil."

"So the pen can bring someone back. You told me it couldn't."

"That was a necessary... half-truth. Up there, yes. Down here, the rules are a little more... flexible. I saw no reason to tempt you. The dilemma you are currently in is why."

"I'm not getting the pen for Cruella. I'm getting it for my mom. We just watched my mom become the Dark One. We watched Hook die, and I couldn't do anything."

"You are the Author. As such, you should use the quill only to record the stories, not create them."

"I don't care about the stupid stories anymore. I'm sick of sitting on the sidelines. I want to be a hero. I want to help my mom even if it means helping Cruella."

"In the Sorcerer's mansion lie all his great works of light magic, the quill and pencils included. They are protected by a powerful spell, but the sheriff took the key from me. Acquire that key and the quill is yours."

Henry asked in a surprised tone, "Wait, what? You're- You're helping me?"

"This is your choice, Henry, but the only way that I can move on is if you make the right one. I trust you." He disappeared.

---

Emma and Hook were inside their home. Hook was watching Emma as she removed a sheet from the sofa in nursery/living room.

Emma turned back to Hook and attempted to help him to the sofa. "Come sit down. Let me take a look at you."

"Are you sure you want to?" Hook asked. "Hades sort of knocked the handsome out of me." He groaned as he slowly lowered himself onto the sofa.