p r o l o g u e | meeting of hearts

Sage's heart pounded with a mix of excitement and nervousness as she stood outside the imposing entrance of her new school, in her new home. It was the beginning of her freshman year, a fresh start in an unfamiliar environment. At the tender age of 11, Sage had skipped several grades, placing her among students older than herself. Now, with her family relocation, the prospect of making friends and fitting in seemed like an overwhelming challenge.

With a deep breath, Sage stepped through the doors and into the bustling hallway. Her eyes scanned the sea of unfamiliar faces, searching for a glimmer of connection. Amidst the crowd, she noticed a girl with lively green eyes and a smile that lit up the room. That girl was Harley.

Harley, a spirited girl with red curls and an infectious enthusiasm for life, had noticed Sage from the moment she walked into the school. Something about Sage's poised demeanor and thoughtful eyes intrigued her, drawing her towards this mysterious newcomer.

Harley couldn't contain her curiosity and began eagerly recounting her observations to her parents, James, Sr. and Linda. Every day, she gushed about Sage's intelligence, her eloquence, and her grace. Harley 's fascination with Sage grew with each passing day until she couldn't hold back any longer.

"Mom, Dad, you won't believe it! I met this incredible girl at school named Sage," Harley exclaimed, her eyes shining with excitement. "She's so smart, and she talks about things I've never even heard of before. I think we would be great friends!"

Linda smiled warmly, her eyes filled with motherly pride. "That's wonderful, Harley. It sounds like Sage has made quite an impression on you."

James, Harley's older brother, leaned forward, his interest piqued. "How is Sage any differently than the previous waves of friends you've had in the past? What makes her so special?"

Harley beamed, unable to contain her excitement as she shared her discoveries with her family. Ignoring the teasing glimmer in James's eye, she eagerly continued, her words flowing with enthusiasm. "Well, James, let me tell you, she's not like anyone I've ever met before. She's incredibly talented in so many ways. I mean, seriously, she plays the piano like a prodigy, and she's already diving into college-level books! It's mind-blowing. But you know what I love most about her? It's how kind and genuine she is. She truly listens, James. When I talk to her, I feel like she's really there, like she actually cares. I can trust her with anything."

Harley couldn't help but smirk mischievously as she whispered the next sentence, her voice barely audible for anyone except James. "Plus, James, here's the best part. She hasn't even met you yet, so there's a chance she's genuinely interested in being my friend without all the 'big brother' baggage. Isn't that great?"

James chuckled, rolling his eyes playfully. "Oh, I see how it is. You're trying to find someone who hasn't been subjected to my teasing and irresistible nature. Well, good luck with that, little sis. But hey, if she's as amazing as you say, I won't stand in the way of your friendship. Just promise me you'll introduce us soon, okay?"

Harley nodded, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "Deal, big brother. You're going to love her, I just know it."

James chuckled, ruffling Harley's hair affectionately. "You always know how to bring excitement into our lives, don't you?"

Their laughter filled the air, a familiar melody of sibling banter and affection. In that moment, as they playfully teased each other, Harley's heart swelled with anticipation, eager to introduce her newfound friend to her beloved family.