f i v e | journal the ride

As the car rolled down the winding road toward Uncle Everest's cabin, Sage sat in the backseat, her gaze fixed on the passing scenery. The vibrant autumn colors painted a picturesque landscape outside, but her thoughts were elsewhere. She absentmindedly played with the hem of her sweater, anticipating the phone call she knew would come.

The familiar ringtone echoed through the car, and Sage's heart skipped a beat. She reached for her phone and answered with a carefully controlled voice, "Hello?"

On the other end of the line, Sage's adoptive parents greeted her with warmth and cheer, their voices filled with love and longing. "Happy birthday, Sage! We're so sorry we forgot again. We've been caught up with work, and time just slipped away from us. How has your weekend been?"

Sage fought back the twinge of disappointment that threatened to surface. She had grown accustomed to her parents forgetting her birthday, year after year. It had become a recurring pattern that she had learned to accept. "Actually, I'm having a great time. Harley is throwing me an amazing party, and we're on our way to Uncle Everest's cabin for a weekend celebration. It's been so much fun already," she replied, masking any trace of hurt. "Harley and her family have been treating me like royalty."

Sage chose not to acknowledge their apology, her heart silently whispering that it didn't matter anymore. Being adopted, she had learned to find solace in her books and music. The significance of her birthday had faded over the years, as she realized that love and family extended far beyond the confines of a biological connection.

Her parents expressed their delight, their voices tinged with remorse. "We're glad you're having a good time, sweetheart. You deserve it. We'll make it up to you, we promise."

In the depths of her thoughts, Sage silently acknowledged that her adoptive parents' forgetfulness didn't define their love for her. They had opened their hearts and home to her, embracing her as their own. Their unwavering financial support and intellectual care, day in and day out, spoke volumes, overshadowing any forgotten birthdays.

As she spoke with her parents, Sage glanced over at Linda, who sat beside her in the car, her expression one of empathy and understanding. Linda, who had become a mother figure to her, knew the complexity of emotions that lay beneath the surface. Their eyes briefly met, and Linda squeezed Sage's hand, silently conveying her unspoken support.

Sage returned her focus to the call, recounting the moments of joy and laughter from Harley's party, sharing stories of the love and warmth she had experienced from her newfound family. She painted a vivid picture of happiness, for both her own sake and that of her parents.

As the call came to an end, Sage bid her parents farewell, assuring them once again that she was truly happy. She hung up the phone, releasing a sigh she didn't realize she had been holding. Deep down, she knew that the love and acceptance she had found in her adoptive family transcended the significance of a single day.

In the quietness of the car, with the gentle hum of the engine, Sage leaned back in her seat, her gaze fixed on the passing landscape once more. She allowed herself a moment of reflection, acknowledging the bittersweet emotions that lingered within her.

Being adopted had taught her the ability to find strength in the face of disappointment. She understood that a forgotten birthday didn't diminish the love she had received throughout the year. Birthdays were just milestones in the grand maze of her life, and she was content knowing that she was cherished and valued every day.

With a newfound sense of gratitude and acceptance, Sage turned her attention back to the present, to the family surrounding her, and to the celebrations that awaited at Uncle Everest's cabin. As the car continued its journey, she allowed herself to embrace the love and warmth that enveloped her, knowing that she had found her place, her home, and her family in the hearts of those who cherished her, birthday or not.