t e n | in the name of sage (part 1)

The sun dipped below the horizon, enveloping Uncle Everest's cabin in a warm, golden glow. As the evening settled in, Sage found herself back at the familiar place, memories of the past flooding her mind. However, an unmistakable tension hung in the air, and she couldn't ignore the distant and evasive behavior of her best friend, Harley.

Despite her concern, Sage hesitated to confront Harley about her distance on the car ride over, her heart racing with apprehension. The weight of recent passing of James and Linda still pressed heavily on Sage's own heart, and she knew that Harley must be struggling even more.

"It's only been a few months since they left us," she thought somberly. "James, Sr. and Linda were like second parents to me. I can't believe they're gone. Yet, I've not been able to speak a word of sorrow or appreciation to Harley since the funeral."

Harley had always been open with Sage, sharing both joy and pain. This made the current situation even more confusing for Sage. She couldn't understand why Harley was keeping her at arm's length, as if a wall had been erected between them. No matter how much Sage tried to reach out, Harley remained elusive, leaving her feeling hurt and uncertain.

She understood that Harley might be going through something significant, something she wasn't ready to divulge just yet. Despite this understanding, Sage couldn't help but wonder how much more patient she should extend to her friend. How long should she wait for Harley to open up and share her struggles? The uncertainty weighed heavily on her, causing her to grapple with her emotions and the desire to help her best friend in any way she could.

Uncle Everest noticed Sage's preoccupation as they sat on the deck, the soothing sounds of the river serenading them. With a knowing smile, he spoke gently, "Harley has her own journey to traverse, just as you do, Sage. Sometimes, we must give our loved ones the space they need to find their way."

Sage's mind immediately flashed back to Harley's hasty departure in search of her brother. It seemed that as soon as Sage found safety in Uncle Everest's study, Harley disappeared, leaving Sage disappointed and mildly annoyed.

Her gaze locked with Uncle Everest's amber eyes, lines of wisdom etched into his face, bearing witness to years of knowledge and experience. "I want to understand, but it's so difficult not knowing what's going on with her," Sage confessed, her voice tinged with concern. "All these years, she could never keep quiet about anything. You know how she is."

Uncle Everest chuckled softly, his eyes reflecting a hint of sadness. "Let me share a secret with you," he replied. "Grief changes people in ways we can never fully comprehend. It's possible that Harley is grappling with something she's not ready to reveal or even admit to herself."

Linda's smiling face flashed in Sage's mind, a mixture of love and sorrow washing over her. "I've seen many people come and go," Sage whispered. "It's easy to love the sight of someone's back as they leave. But Linda didn't choose to leave; she was taken. I expected her to be stronger, to be safe. Harley's silence only reinforces the feeling that I'm no longer safe, and neither is she."

With a reassuring tone, Uncle Everest replied, "Trust that she will confide in you when the time is right. Until then, cherish the moments you have together. Sometimes, giving someone the space they need is the greatest act of love and understanding."

As the conversation shifted from the topic of loss to future events like graduation and prom, James, Jr. appeared from the cabin, his aura of authority clearly visible even from a distance. Although Harley's interaction with Sage had been limited, Sage was aware that James had taken a break from college to manage his father's business. He seemed continuously occupied, even as the sun set, indicating that his responsibilities demanded unwavering focus, especially since he rarely engaged in the responsibilities of his father's position as foreman. She surreptitiously observed him through her eyelashes, keeping her attention discreet.