f o u r | sibling bonds stay strong

On the morning of Sage's camping party, Harley quietly slipped out of her room to avoid disturbing Sage's sleep. Sage had been tossing and turning all night, so Harley wanted to give her as much time to rest as possible. Taking charge, she made sure her mother was preparing breakfast and her father was packing up the car. Harley had made all the arrangements and even had a brief conversation with Sage's parents, who were on another excursion for the third time this year. Reflecting on the interactions between James and Sage, Harley felt it was time to address the issue with James.

She found him in his room, folding his freshly washed clothes. James's room was a reflection of his personality and interests. The walls were adorned with posters of his favorite bands and musicians, showcasing his love for music. Guitars of different shapes and sizes were displayed proudly on stands, each holding memories of countless jam sessions and performances. The room had a cozy and lived-in feel, with a well-worn armchair in one corner, the perfect spot for James to retreat with his guitar and get lost in his melodies.

"Thanks for coming down for my birthday celebration," she announced as she entered the room, aware that he could smell her approaching.

"You didn't come here to show your appreciation. You came to be nosy. Of course, I would come and celebrate. You could get your wolf at any time now. I wouldn't dare miss that," he replied, tucking another roll of shirts into his suitcase. "Uncle Ever talked to me about my behavior with Sage last night. I'm not trying to swoop in and take her best friend. She's too loyal to you." He recalled the conversation he had with Sage about her own birthday and the importance of turning 16 is as important as turning 13.

Harley sighed and approached the bed. The bed, neatly made, was the centerpiece of the room. A comfortable haven with a plaid quilt and a few well-loved stuffed animals that were sentimental value from childhood. Harley picked up the penguin, remembering when she got it for his 10th birthday.  She slowly sat down and replaced the stuffed animal for a shirt from his pile of clothes and begin helping fold.

With a smirk, she replied, "I wouldn't use the word 'loyal.' Maybe she's just a bit admiring of my beauty and smarts," she tried to joke, but she could only manage to elicit a small smile from him. "Fine, then. Listen, your wolf is young, and it's setting its sights on any female near you. You're surrounded by potential female prospects at college, so maybe you're just caught up in a frenzy. Sage's scent is still new to your wolf."

Frustrated, he forcefully shoved some clothes deeper into his suitcase, the sound of the zipper echoing in the room. He then marched over to his large bookcase, his movements filled with a mix of anger and determination, grabbing a textbook he had brought from college to study. His fingers grazed the spines of the books, a collection that had been carefully curated over the years.

The bookshelf, standing tall against one wall, was a testament to James's intellectual pursuits and artistic inclinations. It held a vast array of books, ranging from captivating fantasy novels to thought-provoking biographies of legendary musicians. The shelves also proudly displayed his cherished collection of vinyl records, each one telling a story through its crackling melodies.

Near the window, a desk covered in sheet music and scattered notebooks served as James's creative sanctuary. It was a place where he poured his heart and soul into composing his own songs and honing his guitar skills. The faint rays of sunlight gently illuminated the musical sheets, casting a serene glow upon his creative haven.

As he grasped the textbook tightly in his hand, his voice carried a mix of frustration and pain. "Are you implying that I'm confused? That I'm just a naïve boy?" The turmoil within him was evident, his emotions intertwining with the weight of the moment.

"Please don't use that tone with me, JJ," she replied, getting up and closing his bedroom door to avoid disturbing Sage.

"I'm not using a tone," he growled.