Chapter 6 : Patience And Steadiness

As Akshara stepped down the car, the first thing her eyes caught was the nameplate beside the entrance door.

Birla House.

Her entire demeanor changed, as a vivid image of ‘Birla Hospital & Medical Institute’ came to the front of her mind.

Manjiri observed her lost in thoughts, and touched her arm gently to grab her attention.

“All okay dear ?”

But Akshara didn't listen. Instead, she turned to Manjiri and asked :

“Abhimanyu is a Birla ?”

Manjiri frowned at the question but answered nonetheless.

“Yes, he is.”

Akshara gulped, forcing the tears to not cross the boundary of her eyes.

‘The owner of the hospital is upset with me... He says I'm not a good psychologist and has given me a last chance of a case...’

“And Birla Hospital is run by the Birlas ?” - she asked in a whisper, dreading the answer.

After everything that she had been through, she trusted one person and he betrayed her as well ?

Manjiri's eyes slightly widened. She understood what was the problem as Abhimanyu had told her everything on the way to hospital in the morning and had asked her to be cautious around Akshara and not reveal any information.

She put on a sad smile on her face and nodded.

“Yes dear. It is run by the Birlas. They are our distant relatives but...” - she trailed off, exhaling a long breath with a smile.

Akshara's shoulders slumped. A relief taking over her body. She didn't know what she had done if her fear that Abhimanyu lied to her had proved right. But as Manjiri's words registered to her brain, her heart gave a sharp pang.

The ones who wanted him sacked out of the hospital were his own relatives. And who, better than her, would know the pain of getting hurt by those you call your own. They both shared the same kind of pain.

She held Manjiri's hands in hers and tried to smile. “I understand.” - she said quietly.

Manjiri squeezed her hands and smiled. “Come on, let's head inside.”

They stepped into the house and Akshara halted in her steps again. But this time, it was because of the sight of Abhimanyu sound asleep on the couch in the hall. Manjiri followed her gaze and smiled sadly.

“That's how he becomes in every case.” - she said.

Akshara's insides burned with guilt and her gaze dropped to the floor. Wasn't she the reason of everyone's discomfort ?

“I am sorry.” - she said quietly, tears falling on the floor.

Manjiri tensed. “Why are YOU sorry dear ?” - she inquired tenderly.

For everything! Her inner voice shrieked. She was sorry she was born, sorry she didn't die along with her parents, sorry that she was the reason of her step-mothers's death, sorry that she craved for a mother's love all her life, sorry she wanted to be with her family, sorry that she was not good enough even as a girlfriend,  sorry that she still existed!

“It's my fault.”

She uttered in a hollow whisper. Wherever she went, she brought unhappiness and destruction. Maybe Arohi was right. She was a bad omen.

Manjiri held her by the shoulders and made her face herself.

“No honey, it's not your fault. Infact, you can save my son's job. By continuing the sessions you are helping him and I can't be more grateful.” - Manjiri's tone was so soft, so warm that more tears rushed to Akshara's eyes.