Chapter 7: A Protector

Matthew slowly opened his eyes and put a hand at his chest.

I'm alive.

He was alive with no bleeding heart. Matthew breathed out slowly as he closed his eyes again, savouring the feeling of being physically well.

Matthew clenched the bed sheets in an attempt to calm his shaking hands as he tried his best to stop the images from flashing through.

Hanbin dying, Gyuvin bleeding out, Taerae unconscious, Yujin's traumatised expression and the other two watching it with their own eyes, one of which had just escaped being a war prisoner.

Matthew gulped as he shook his head. They were all in the next world. They were all safe and free from harm. Matthew sniffed the air as an overwhelming sense of smells invaded his nose, causing him to grimace.

Matthew looked around the large room, noticing that everyone was still asleep. Maybe the side effects of nearly being killed in an enemy's ambush. The scents became more potent as Matthew felt the indefinite need to leave.

He needed to leave, and take some time to himself before he could face them again, and look them in the eye without feeling guilty with what he had subjected them to.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered to them as he felt the words claw at his throat, so desperately in need of escaping. Matthew wrote them a small letter, of how he would return soon as he quietly tip toed away.

Their shared house was quite the sight to see. Lots of rooms and pictures that connected all the friends together. He paused at a picture frame with the sub heading; The day we all presented!

"Presented?" Matthew whispered, confused. The smells no longer affected Matthew as he made his way to the door.

"Hyung?" A very hesitant voice came from the doorway.

Matthew turned around to see Gunwook fidgeting, eying Matthew warily as he stared at Matthew's hand on the door.

"Gunwookie!" Matthew exclaimed in relief, knowing that Gunwook would need the little extra support before he left. Matthew embraced the tall boy in a hug as Gunwook melted into his arms.

"Hey Gunwook, you okay about all this buddy?" Matthew asked quietly as Gunwook nodded shyly. "It was a little weird at first, waking up like this. But anything is better than my old life so I'm very grateful hyung," he mumbled as Matthew smiled at his cuteness.

For some reason, he felt safe next to Gunwook, and felt at peace. It helped that there was no overwhelming aura coming from Gunwook like there was with Hanbin when Matthew first woke up next to him.

"I wonder what kind of world this is," Matthew muttered thoughtfully.

"Gunwook, can you please do me a favour?" Matthew asked him pleadingly as Gunwook agreed. Matthew took his hands and smiled up at him, their big baby who spotted a confused yet happy expression.

"Can you tell everyone I'll be back. And once I am, if they can forgive me?" He whispered quietly as Gunwook's eyes widened.

"What's there to forgive?" He asked curiously as Matthew just sighed. "They'll know once you tell them. I hope they find it in their hearts that I never wanted to subject them to that" he said as Gunwook slowly nodded.

"I'll be out for a while. Need to clear my thoughts a little bit," Matthew said heartily as Gunwook clasped his hand tightly. "N-no don't go," He pleaded, knowing deep inside that Matthew was vital to their friends.

"Chill you little cutie," Matthew cooed as he leaned up to pinch his cheeks. "Tell them I need to go find someone so that our next chapter can be as fun as Hogwarts was, well not for Taerae," Matthew chuckled at his inside jokes as Gunwook hugged him tightly.