Chapter 1: A Best Friend

Matthew stumbled home from work, head spinning from the onslaughts of overuse.

"I fucking hate my life" He mumbled as he tripped over a rubbish bin.

His life as a college student had hit rock bottom. Sunken lower than anyone could ever sink. He was ridden with college debts, no family to go back to and worst of all, he was too caught up in part time jobs that he had no friends to lean on.

"This could be worse" he gaslighted himself as a piece of rusty metal rusted his knee, causing him to hiss.

"No actually-" Matthew swore as he wiped over the wound. He made his way back to his old rusty apartment, stumbling in the dead of the night.

He flicked his light on, wincing at the mess of his small apartment before he collapsed on bed, not even bothering to take off his shoes. "Huh?" He whispered as he felt his body coming in contact with something hard.

Matthew reached under him and found a strikingly blue book labelled, Youth in the Shade, sitting on his bed.

"Hm weird I've never seen this before" Matthew pondered as he shrugged and tossed it to the side, failing to notice the book slightly glowing.

The next morning, Matthew woke up groggily, turning to see the mysterious book from his side still there. He glanced at it suspiciously as he looked at the date.

"My day off," he mumbled as he dressed into a more comfortable outfit and got ready to spend the day happily alone.

Stealing a pool floaty from the neighbour's kids next door, and feeling no remorse, Matthew made his way down to his apartment complex's pool. He plopped the floaty into the crystal clear water- suspiciously clean unlike the apartments themselves- and carefully sunk onto it, not forgetting to bring his new book.

He floated around for a while, drifting and enjoying the bright sun, before opening the first page. Matthew nearly capsized in shock as he yelled "what the- it's blank".

Suddenly little words were scrawled onto the first page.

Seok Matthew, our chosen Narrator. Would you like to create new virtual realities? The only rule is, you must reach the end of this novel, and save your new eight friends. 

"I have no friends." Matthew deadpanned, not even bothering to wonder why a freaking book was writing messages to him. It felt supernatural...

You can choose your own storyline, and create your characters.

The book continued scrawling in black ink as Matthew felt a headache forming, images flashing through his head.

A best friend, a lover, a protector. Magic, fairies, royalty, all those scenes flashed through his head. The stories he could create and the power he had.

The book never gave him a choice to respond as his floatation device suddenly started shaking. "Woah, woah please no" Matthew begged as he watched a whirlpool start forming.

"This is too scary-" Matthew screamed as his head flashed white and he was capsized down into the pool.

Matthew choked on water as he slowly drowned, not having any energy to save himself.

His eyes slowly closed as the book in his hand unknowingly flipped to the first page.

Chapter 1: A best friend

——

"Seokmae, Seokmae wake up!" A voice screamed as Matthew burst up and found himself face to face with a handsome stranger.

"Yah, Seokmae, you scared me there! Sleeping like a cat" the stranger cooed as he grabbed Matthew's face and rubbed it.

Matthew's eye twitched as he wondered what the hell was going on. Didn't he drown? Was this all a dream?