Chapter 8. The sign on the wall

1

People were staring them down as they stood. Then Argus Filch came through the crowd, attracted by Malfoy's shout. Unaware of what was then.

„What's happening here?" he was saying and saw Mrs. Norris and fell back and clutched at his pale face in horror. „My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?"

And his eyes fell upon Harry.

„You! You've murdered my cat! I'll kill you." He started toward Harry, enraged, and Y/N took hold of his hidden wand, but there was no use.

„Argus!"

Dumbledore had come on the scene, followed by other teachers. In seconds, he had swept past Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N and detached Mrs. Norris from the torch bracket.

„Come with me, Argus," he said to Filch. „You, too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger, and Mr. L/N."

Then Lockhart stepped forward.

„My office is nearest, Headmaster, just upstairs. Please feel free to . . ."

„Thank you, Gilderoy."

The silent crowd stepped away to let them come through. Lockhart, looking important, hurried after Dumbledore. So did Professors McGonagall and Snape.

As they entered Lockhart's darkened office, there was a sudden movement across the walls. Harry saw several of the Lockharts in the pictures dodging out of sight. The true Lockhart lit the candles on his desk and stood back. Dumbledore laid Mrs. Norris on the polished surface and began to examine her. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged tense looks and sank into chairs outside the pool of candlelight, watching. Y/N waited with curiosity to the scene unfolding but dreaded thinking about anything similar happening to Cinder.

The tip of Dumbledore's long, crooked nose was barely an inch from Mrs. Norris's fur. He was looking closely through his half-moon spectacles, and his long fingers gently prodded and poked. Professor McGonagall was bent almost as close, her eyes narrowed. Snape loomed behind them, half in shadow, wearing a most peculiar expression: it was as if he was trying hard not to smile. And Lockhart was hovering around all of them, making suggestions.

„It was a curse that killed her. Probably the Transmogrifian Torture. I've seen it used many times, so unlucky I wasn't there. I know the very countercurse that would have saved her."

Lockhart's comments were punctuated by Filch's sobs. He was slumped in a chair by the desk, unable to look at Mrs. Norris, his face in his hands. Much as he detested Filch, Harry couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for him, but not as much as for himself. If Dumbledore believed Filch, he would be expelled for sure.

Dumbledore was now muttering strange words under his breath and tapped Mrs. Norris with his wand, but nothing happened: she continued to look as if she had been recently stuffed.

„I remember something very similar happening in Ouagadogou," Lockhart said, „a series of attacks. The full story is in my autobiography. I was able to provide the townsfolk with various amulets, which cleared the matter up at once."

The photographs of Lockhart on the walls were all nodding in agreement as he talked. Y/N felt his fist curl but released it and breathed in.

At last, Dumbledore straightened up.

„She's not dead, Argus," he said softly.

„Not dead? But why's she all, all stiff and frozen?"

„She has been Petrified. But how I cannot say."

„Ask him!" Filch said, turning his blotched and tear-stained face to Harry.

„No second year could have done this," Dumbledore said firmly. „It would take Dark Magic of the most advanced . . ."