Chapter 9. The Rogue Bludger

1

There were no incidents regarding any living creatures since the pixies class of Lockhart's to their utter gladness. But he was reading his awful books to the students, and it was even more boring, and only sometimes he was reenacting the scenes from the books. Sadly, Harry was usually the one picked to help him. Thus far, Harry had been forced to play a simple Transylvanian villager whom Lockhart had cured of a Babbling Curse, a yeti with a head cold, and a vampire who had been unable to eat anything except lettuce since Lockhart had dealt with him.

In the next class with Lockhart, Harry was acting like a werewolf. He would have refused to do it if he hadn't had a good reason for keeping Lockhart in a good mood.

„Loud howl, Harry, good. Then, if you will believe it, I pounced and slammed him to the floor. With one hand, I managed to hold him down. With my other, I put my wand to his throat. I then screwed up my remaining strength and performed the immensely complex Homorphus Charm. He let out a piteous moan. Go on, Harry, higher than that, good. The fur vanished. The fangs shrank. And he turned back into a man. Simple, yet effective, and another village will remember me forever as the hero who delivered them from the monthly terror of werewolf attacks."

Then the bell rang, and Lockhart rose to his feet.

„Homework, compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga Werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!"

Y/N scowled, and the class began to leave, and Harry returned to the back of the room, where Ron, Hermione, and Y/N were waiting.

„Ready?" Harry muttered.

„Wait until everyone's gone," Hermione said nervously. „All right . . ."

They all came to Lockhart's desk. Hermione held a piece of paper in her hand.

„Professor Lockhart? I wanted to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading."

She showed the paper, and her hands shook slightly.

„But it's in the Restricted Section, and I need a teacher to sign it. It would help me understand what you say in Gadding with Ghouls about slow-acting venoms."

„Ah, Gadding with Ghouls," Lockhart said, taking a note and widely smiling at her. „Possibly my favorite book. You enjoyed it?"

„Oh, yes. So clever, the way you trapped that last one with the tea strainer. . ."

But Y/N tapped her arm to stop her talking, and to his luck, she did. Lockhart stared.

„Well, I'm sure no one will mind me giving the best student of the year a little extra help," Lockhart said, then pulled out a peacock quill and signed the note, and handed it back to the girl.

„So Harry," Lockhart said, and Hermione folded the note and slipped it into her bag. „Tomorrow's the first Quidditch match of the season, I believe. Gryffindor against Slytherin? I hear you're a useful player. I was a Seeker, too. I was asked to try for the National Squad but preferred to dedicate my life to the eradication of the Dark Forces. Still, if you ever feel the need for private training, don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to pass on my expertise to less able players."

Harry made an indistinct noise in his throat and hurried off after his friends. Then Hermione held the signature, and Y/N looked at her and smiled.

„Good job, Hermione," he praised with a smile still.

„Thanks."

„I don't believe it. He didn't even look at the book we wanted," Harry said.

„That's because he's a brainless git. But who cares? We've got what we wanted," Ron said.