Chapter 12. The secret diary

1

From the start until the end, he wanted to stay, but when crestfallen then, he became nothing, and it was nothing like that that awaited ahead. Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks. There was a flurry of rumors about her disappearance when the rest of the school returned from their Christmas holidays because everyone thought she had been attacked. So many students filed past the hospital wing trying to catch a glimpse of her that Madam Pomfrey removed her curtains again and placed them around Hermione's bed to spare her the shame of being seen with a furry face.

Harry and Ron visited her every evening. And Y/N often, as if seeing her was his nepenthe. When the new term started, they brought her each day's homework. And her spirits were greatly improved by the fact that all the hair had gone from her face, and her eyes were turning slowly back to brown.

„I don't suppose you've got any new leads?" she whispered, for that Madam Pomfrey couldn't hear.

„Nothing," Harry said.

„I was so sure it was Malfoy," Ron said again.

„What's that?" spoke Harry, pointing to something gold sticking out from under Hermione's pillow, and Y/N stared and rubbed his hand at his face on his right cheek impatiently.

„Just a get-well card," Hermione said, embarrassed, trying to poke it out of sight, but Ron was too quick for her. He pulled it out, flicked it open, and read aloud:

„To Miss Granger, wishing you a speedy recovery, from your concerned teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award."

„After all that before, you still got this thing?" Y/N said quietly.

„Should I throw it out?"

„Well, yeah, that would please me greatly. Think about it."

„Okay, Y/N," she said softly.

When the card was handed to him, he tore it apart quickly, and what was left came into its last hiding in the inside pocket of his robes.

„Thank you, Hermione. That is very kind of you."

Then Madam Pomfrey came with Hermione's daily dose of medicine, and Harry and Ron left the infirmary and started toward the stairs of the Gryffindor Tower. Snape had given them so much homework that Harry thought he would be in the sixth year before he finished it. Ron was saying he wished he had asked Hermione how many rat tails you needed to add to a Hair- Raising Potion when an angry outburst from the floor above reached their ears.

„That's Filch," Harry muttered as they hurried up the stairs and paused, out of sight, listening hard.

„You don't think someone else's been attacked?" Ron said tensely.

They stood still, their heads inclined toward Filch's voice. It sounded hysterical.

„ . . . even more work for me! Mopping all night like I haven't got enough to do! No, this is the final straw. I'm going to Dumbledore."

His footsteps receded along the out-of-sight corridor, and they heard a distant door slam. They looked around the corner. Filch had been walking around his usual lookout post: they were again on the spot where Mrs. Norris had been attacked. They saw at a glance what Filch had been shouting about. A great flood of water stretched over half the corridor, and it looked as if it was still seeping from under the door of Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Now that Filch had stopped shouting, they could hear Myrtle's wails echoing off the bathroom walls.