ᴀ ꜱᴏɴ

ZOE

I handed Xavier a cup of coffee and sat down next to him. He's so broken and anxious right now and I feel utterly fucking useless. He was always there for me despite him being an ass to everyone else. He was the first person I even had the guts to come out to.

I take a deep breath, fiddling with the hem of my shirt nervously. I've been standing outside Xavier's room for what feels like hours, though the clock on the wall insists it's only been minutes. I'm not sure why I'm so nervous. It's just Xavier, my brother. We've shared everything, from our childhood tantrums to our teenage angst. But this? This feels different.

I wipe at my eyes, trying to quell the tears that have been threatening to spill over. I take one last deep breath, steeling myself, and then I knock.

"Come in," Xavier calls out, his voice muffled by the door. I push it open, stepping into his chaotic, poster-covered room. He's sitting on his bed, a video game controller in his hands. He looks up as I enter, his face lighting up with a grin.

"Zoe. What's up?" he asks, pausing his game. I smile weakly, taking a seat beside him on the bed. I feel a lump forming in my throat, and I swallow hard.

"I need to tell you something," I start, my voice wavering. Xavier's grin fades, replaced by a look of concern. He sets his controller down, turning to face me fully.

"Zoe, you're crying. What's wrong?" he asks, his voice filled with worry. I bite my lip, trying to force the words out.

"I'm...I'm gay, Xav," I finally manage to say, the words sounding foreign to my own ears. I can't bring myself to meet his gaze, choosing instead to stare at my hands.

Xavier is silent for a moment, causing my heart to sink. Then, he bursts out laughing. I blink, looking up at him in surprise.

"Is that it?" he asks, grinning at me. "I thought you had a crush on Jennifer Lawrence when we watched Hunger Games together."

I can't help but laugh too, his joke easing the tension. I lean into him, resting my head on his shoulder. He wraps an arm around me, squeezing me gently.

"But seriously, Zoe," he says, his tone turning serious. "I'm proud of you. And I'm here for you, okay?"

I nod, blinking back more tears. "I just...I just don't want mom and dad to know. Not yet. They... they wouldn't understand."

Xavier nods, understanding in his eyes. "Don't worry, Zoe. Your secret's safe with me."

I let out a sigh of relief, feeling an immense weight lifted off my shoulders. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I can breathe. And with Xavier by my side, I know I can face anything.

Xavier looks up at me, takes the coffee. "Thanks."

"Figured you could use something to give you a boost." I say  while sitting down next to him in the waiting room. "Although it tastes like shit."

Xavier gives me a sad smile, and I give him a friendly shove.

We stay there in silence for a while until...

"Mr James?" A female doctor says approaching us, and both Xavier and I stand.

"Yes." Xavier says anxiously.

"I'm Dr. Brown, I'm your son's doctor." She says and shakes his hand.

"How is he?" Xavier asked.

"Your son, as you know, was born three weeks early. He weighed five pounds and three ounces at birth." Dr. Brown said to us.