Chapter Two- Head Chip

Anashé

Wake up, B.

I miss you, baby girl.

Wake up, baby girl. It's been too long.

Fight it, baby. You got this!

Come back to me, Ana.

Kai's fighting words...his yearning was like a constant push for my consciousness. Every day I'd replay it in my head over and over. I knew he didn't know I could hear him, or maybe he did, but it was his constant push that eventually got me struggling against the weight of my eyelids. The pain in my head came like a crash! Like I was being beaten in it over and over.

The moment I opened my eyes and got exposed to the white light coming from overhead light, I knew for sure mi neva dead, and this wasn't the afterlife. I raised my head over my eyes to block it.

"Shit, that's bright!" I croaked. Shit, my throat's dry! Where am I? I looked around and noticed that in a private hospital room with couches and chairs in each corner and on my bedside table were two full bouquets of red roses. It was dark outside, so I knew there'd be no one here to see me. Why am I even here? I felt a burning, stinging pain a the side of my head and raised my hand to feel on my scalp. There was a cut there, it felt like a separation under my skin. Did I crack my damn skull?

What?

Memories came flooding in like pop-ups on a bad movie site and I immediately became overwhelmed with emotion.

She pushed me down the stairs. The evil bitch was trafficking young girl, fucking Mario and now she's pushed me down some stairs and cracked my head open! Massa God what type of crazy shit have I gotten myself into? She straight up tried to kill me and I'm-

Wait...

I reached down to feel my belly.

Wait...

I felt how flat it was...and how pronounced my muscles were. No... no.

"No, no, no!" I screamed feeling my head heat up with pain as the tears came. I screamed and cried, crabbing at my stomach. "This isn't real! this isn't real! Mi a dream, a dream mi a dream!"

"Miss Nichols you're awake, what's the matter?" A nurse came in.

"Am I dreaming? Mi a dreaming right? Tell me, I'm dreaming, please, just please tell me this isn't really." I cried, covering my mouth to stop from wailing.

Her sorrowful eyes gave it away instantly. This was real. This is happening for real. My baby's dead.

"I'm so sorry, Miss Nichols, but there wasn't anything we could do to save him,"

Him? I was having a boy? The tears came even harder.

"I'm sorry, Miss, would you like me to get anyone for you?" She asked, "As soon as we do our checks they can come for the next visiting time in another hour-not that we'd have to call anyway. They are here every day." She smiled.

I can't breathe.

I can't breathe!

Immediately, I started hyperventilating. Panicked, she came over to rub my shoulders and began mimicking how I should be breathing. I tried following her lead but all I could think about was being pushed down those stairs and feeling the blood pool between my legs.
Hearing that I've lost my son and knowing the person who has done it is the last person anyone would expect. His own grandmother! I can't breathe!

"Breathe, Miss, please, calm your breathing."

I was nodding frantically at her, but I couldn't control my breathing at all. I held on to her shoulders, but all of a sudden my hands were shaking.