12

It had been an uncomfortable evening for Francis. There was little he could say in response to Rita's efforts at conversation without lying to her, and so much said by Sir Fred to fill the ensuing uneasy silences. That she seemed frustrated by his vacant stares and distracted thoughts both pained and pleased him. It was for her own good, he reminded himself, shuffling his thoughts so she couldn't read them. But now that night had fallen on the fortress, he focused sharply again on the important task in front of him, and the creak of barrow wheels behind him on the steps leading down to Rupret's lair.

He turned to see where Danny was, or rather where the wheelbarrow was, because Danny was wearing his cloak. Danny stopped humming to say, "Don't worry about me. Watch your step." He was unusually chipper, all things considered, but Francis guessed holding hands with Ginger under the table at dinner may have had something to do with it.

They weren't half down the stairs when sounds of shifting sand and grit meant they had Rupret's attention. The dragon stretched his neck up to greet them and inhaled so deeply that the barrow's cover flew off and clung to the side of one of his nostrils.

"Where's the chicken?" Rupret asked

"You didn't say anything specifically about chicken," said Francis.

"I meant your friend," Rupret said, sniffing the air again.

Francis felt Danny pass him on the steps, the barrow set down behind him. In a minute, he could hear Danny grunting, "Oh, yeah, well take that! And that!", while Rupret stared down at his stomach rippling with futile, invisible punches.

"Stop it! Stop! It tickles!" the dragon laughed, annoyed at the same time. He used his talons like tweezers to pinch for his assailant. Danny managed to slip out of his cloak and drop to the near ground. Rupret's curious diamond eyes stared at the cloth dangling in front them. "Is this what I think it is?"

"Got me some new duds, Rupret," Danny said, dusting himself off. "What do you think?"

"What do I think of an invisibility cloak?" Rupret asked excitedly. "What I wouldn't give for one in my size! Imagine being able to fly around and not hear, 'AAAHHHH!' and 'Oh please! I just got the wagon washed!'"

"It looks like it might stretch. Maybe we can make a trade," Francis offered.

Danny hit him in the arm. "Do you mind not bartering with things that don't belong to you?"

"We need give him something."

"How's he supposed to use it?"

"What about swimsuit season?" Francis tried.

"Oh, this definitely wouldn't cut it," Rupret said, brushing one of his face frills out of the way. "But, I suppose I could use it to conceal the odd blemish. What exactly do you want for it? I already see your passage fare sloshing around in your cart."

"Honestly, Rupret, we could sure use your fire power," Francis said.

"I see. Let me guess. You've never met a dragon like me before. You'd like to hire me for some noble, get-rich quest. I've heard that line from a lot of you fellas lately, but –"

"The princesses are in grave danger!" Danny said.

"Danger?! Where?" The growl beneath Rupret's words gave the impression of lava gurgling its way up the pipes. He stood at attention, his eyes now lit brimstone. Red heat flared from his nose and the corners of his mouth, seemingly stoked by the folded, leathery wings heaving just behind his shoulders..

"The abandoned cottage down along the river!"

"Oh, well, that's different," Rupret said, snuffing his fiery alarm with a gulp and smacking tongue. His giant body relaxed and he sighed a puff of smoke. "I am sorry for that, but you know I'm forbidden to leave the castle grounds unless the While Witch summons me."