The Dark Angel

I had been running non-stop for two hours. Finally, I gave up and managed to say, "Can I please take a short rest? I'm exhausted," struggling to catch my breath.

"You get tired quickly," he said.

"What? Am I getting tired quickly?! You shouldn't have pushed me so hard from the first day..." I replied.

"In 20 days, you have a match, so three weeks from now. Can't you endure a little bit?" he said.

"It's really tough..." I said, collapsing to the ground.

He rolled his eyes and said while nudging me with his foot, "You haven't done anything yet, get up quickly."

"Wait for two minutes..." I complained, but it was of no use.

"Even two minutes matter, you don't have any time to waste. Get up, or I'll kick you," he said.

I reluctantly got up.

"Make a fist with your hand," he said, showing me his clenched fist. I tried to do the same.

"You're doing it wrong, it shouldn't be like that," he said, trying to correct me while talking.

"If your thumb is below the other fingers, you can hurt or break it when you throw a punch. Remember, the thumb should be on top."

"Is this another Golden Rule?" I asked.

"No, it's just a reminder you shouldn't forget." He pointed at the punching bag and said, "Throw a punch."

"This?" I asked, and he shook his head in frustration. I gathered all my strength and threw the punch as hard as I could.

"Is that all?" he said, surprised.

Wasn't it enough? My hand had hurt badly.

"It didn't work?" I asked hesitantly.

"Hit harder!"

I hit again. He shook his head from side to side.

"Step back, this is how you should hit." He struck hard, and I recoiled. When he saw my fear, he looked at me.

"Golden Rule: Don't be afraid, be intimidating. Don't be close to anyone, be alone. Otherwise, they'll become a hindrance. And one more rule: Don't tell anyone your secrets. They shouldn't know about you, your family, or your life. Don't let them know your weaknesses. Except for me, I need to know everything about you so that I can protect you."

"Why should I trust you?" I asked.

"You have to because you have no choice," he said, looking into my eyes. "Now, hit, hit hard."

I hit.

"Keep hitting until I tell you to stop."

I hit... I hit more, faster. I slowed down and hit. I accelerated again and hit. I hit much harder - at least, from my perspective. I kept hitting relentlessly. I thought of my mother, and I hit. I thought of the slap she gave me, and I hit. I thought of Ela, my father, how hell would be like, my life turned upside down...

I was about to land one more punch to vent my anger when he stopped me.

"I told you to stop, but you didn't listen. Golden Rule: Control your nerves. Never get angry, because if you get angry, you make mistakes and apologize. Don't apologize to anyone. Don't make a move that requires an apology. Don't thank anyone. Don't ask for help from anyone; do things on your own. Except for me." I listened carefully to all the advice he gave.

"I understand," I said, nodding my head.

"Do you really understand? I have a lot to teach you in a short time, that's why..."