Servant in training

It was hard to get used to this palace. Not only the women who were after her because the queen had left her alive did not make life easy for her here. Even Ravenna herself seemed to have fun keeping Y/N busy. She was constantly coming up with new tasks, new things for Y/N to do, and every time Y/N looked hopefully into the Queen's beautiful eyes, her gaze was always returned with coldness and hidden bitterness.

Sometimes there were days when Y/N thought about escaping from here. It was scary how often these thoughts came to her lately. But she was also being realistic, and she was aware that nowhere would be safe for her. Either her old king's men would catch her and drag her along, or Ravenna's henchmen would. Both would end in an agonizing death. Something Y/N wanted to ensure was prevented.

"Go and get the washed clothes. Hang them outside." An already elderly woman approached Y/N and threw the wooden basket at her to put the laundry in. Y/N hadn't even seen one of all these servants here smile once, but this woman here in front of her, she was the worst. If you weren't careful, you liked to get hit with the wooden cooking spoon every now and then. An acquaintance that Y/N had unfortunately already had to make once.

"Well get a move on, we don't have all day, girl!" the woman hissed at her. Y/N merely shrugged slightly and nodded, albeit reluctantly. "Very well." She had only been here a few weeks, but in those weeks she had already learned quite a few things. Above all, she had learned that it was better to keep one's mouth shut and to say only what was necessary.

Y/N took the basket and disappeared to do the laundry. That would be her last task for today, then she could retire in peace to her safe four walls. Not that this room was really very safe, quite the contrary, one could get in quite easily. But her room was the place where Y/N felt most comfortable and where she could keep some privacy.

Her way led the young woman outside, the blazing sun was shining in her face and she had to hold her hand a little in front of her eyes to be able to see properly.
Carefully, she placed the basket of wet clothes on the ground next to her and began hanging everything on a line to let the laundry dry in the sun.

She couldn't explain it herself, but for some reason she felt like she was being watched, so Y/N scanned the area for a pair of eyes. No one was there and no one was staring at her. She had probably imagined all of this, because this gloomy place was gradually driving her further and further into madness.

It was silent outside, except for the clang of steel on each other. Curious, Y/N looked up, the laundry had been completely hung up and so nothing stopped her from following the sound. The young woman could already guess what the origin of these noises was and yet she wanted to see everything for herself.
Y/N stopped at a safe distance. If someone should discover her here, it could really cause serious trouble. Trouble she preferred to spare herself. But she had been right, because just a little further away from her, a training of the king's guards was taking place. Men from young to old stood in the square, wearing their black armor in weather like this. In their hands each of them held a sword with which they fought each other.

It was really exciting to watch the training, Y/N had always had a special interest in swordsmanship. She was fascinated by how dangerous a simple sword could be, as long as the blade was wielded by the right one. Sword fighting was an art in itself, something very special. Almost like dancing. There were certain steps to remember, certain sword strokes to execute. And then there was also the art of being able to read and outwit one's opponent in order to achieve victory.

Attentively Y/N watched the training, looking at some of the techniques the men were using.
"I see you are interested in sword fighting?" Y/N wheeled around when she heard the male voice behind her. The blood seemed to freeze in her veins, for she had just been caught in the act. What would happen to her now? Would he tell the queen about the fact that she had been secretly wandering around the grounds?