The gift for loyalty

Blood dripped from her sword onto the ground, staining it with its red color. Out of cold and tired eyes, Y/N looked down at the man she had just killed. Once a king and now a nobody. Soon the memory of him would fade, no one would remember the fat king who mistreated his maids and flaunted his splendor. What would be remembered, however, was the queen who had dared to enter his lands and overthrow him. The news of his death would spread and create even more fear and terror in the world, for Ravenna's power had grown once more.

Y/N stepped forward and removed the crown from the vanquished king's head. She looked at the shimmering gold in her hands for a moment, reflecting on the gemstones engraved in it.

"Y/N."

Ravenna's voice echoed through the room, causing the young woman to lift her gaze. Ravenna stood a few feet away from her, a look of satisfaction in her eyes as she recognized the king's corpse dangling on the throne, and when she beckoned Y/N closer, she immediately complied.

Y/N stopped in front of Ravenna, amidst a mess of corpses and blood and then she knelt before her, bowed her head and lifted the golden crown. "The kingdom is now yours, my queen. You have triumphed." She waited until Ravenna took the crown from her hand, holding it in her own. A deep laugh escaped the blonde haired woman's throat, she reveled in the image before her and her right hand found its way under Y/N's chin to lift it a little.

"You did very well. Such a good girl..."

Y/N couldn't help but swallow a little, those words did something to her, triggered that tingle, a feeling that fueled her. And yet she was supposed to be angry with Ravenna after what she had done! She was about to fall even further for her. She knew this and exploited it shamelessly. "For my queen, anytime." She looked Ravenna firmly in the icy blue eyes and even managed to twitch the corners of her mouth into a small smile.

A long pause followed, during which the two did not speak to one another, just looked at each other, while the soft whimpers of the women who were still alive could be heard in the background. They had all been spared by the army of spirits, only their male companions had lost their lives.

It was only after Ravenna signaled her to get up that Y/N rose from the filthy floor.

"We need to talk."

Ravenna sounded serious and she clasped her hands behind her back, strutting across the throne room, Y/N following her. What could there possibly be that needed to be talked about? Still, she nodded devotedly. "Very well, what do you wish to speak with me about?" With Ravenna, it could be about anything, but certainly Y/N wasn't thinking about what was about to follow.

"Tell me, why are you still here?" This question came so suddenly that Y/N didn't know what to do with it at first. Irritated, she looked at the blonde, tilting her head a little. "My queen? Forgive me, but I don't understand the question. Where else would I be if not here? You ordered me to accompany you." But apparently Ravenna was concerned with more than that, with something else. Her blue eyes flashed once and she scrutinized Y/N once, weighing up whether she was acting so stupidly or whether she really had no idea.

"Only recently you looked me in the eye with so much hatred, accusing me of using your body for my own pleasure. And even though these things are true, you still follow me like a good lapdog after everything I've done. Why?"

Slowly it dawned on Y/N and she began to understand what Ravenna was trying to achieve with this conversation. She pressed her lips together until they became a thin white line before sighing softly. This wasn't really the right place to talk about something like this, but then again, if not here, where else?

"Ravenna... You're such a clever woman and yet there's one thing you still don't understand." She saw the displeasure in her queen's gaze and decided to immediately continue. "Before you get angry, please let me finish first. What I'm getting at are feelings. Yes, you used me and yes, you hurt me. More than anyone else has done before. But I'm still here because I want to be with you. Take advantage of me, yell at me when you're angry or take my youth. None of it matters to me, because I..." She had just been so full of zest for action, had thought of the perfect words, but now they wouldn't escape her.