PROLOGUE

A short look into the past

1991-2008

Whoever said "He who learns must suffer" was certainly not wrong. The proverb continues, "and even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God." Each time pain fell upon the young girl, she learned a lesson.

Amina Khan was three years old when she was sold. A mutant girl, too young to even understand what was happening to her. When the men proposed the deal to her father, their family divided itself. Her brother tried to keep her safe in his arms, but the men took her away, and their father welcomed the money with open arms. He did not care of her, not even when her mother and brother were weeping and sobbing at his feet.

The pain came with her first step around the men that bought her. At first it was a push when she didn't pay attention, then a slap when she didn't listen to the men. Amina was three when her mutation started to reveal, a few months after she was sold, and she was still three when the experimentation started. Small doses of adrenaline, then a substance she did not know.

When she was five, they moved her from Afghanistan. As a young girl, she watched the landscapes change. The deserts turned into seas, the seas into forests, and the forests into mountains. The experiments stopped, but the training intensified. She wasn't trained by afghans anymore, oh no. She was trained by professionals. Chinese assassins working for the Ten Rings.

She grew up with the pain, and through the pain came knowledge. The days were always the same. Wake up, train in the martial arts, get familiar to the mutations, then the martial arts again, and the cycle would repeat over and over again. Amina even trained with the leader of the group, but his only interest was to get to know the abilities that her mutations allowed her to acquire. She learned the language of the ten rings, got their marking, learned their style.

By the time Amina Khan was thirteen, she was already known world wide. Though she was not treated well among the members of the ten rings, Scar was feared. She was strong, and she grew stronger every day. Her abilities, while more extraordinary existed, helped the organisation in ways no one thought they would. At age thirteen, Amina Khan was already sent on missions. She knew five languages (even though two were only used in a small part of the Middle East), and her knowledge in martial arts was unmatched. The young girl was a fighting machine, her skills exceeding any member of the organisation.

It was her choice to go back to Afghanistan. While her freedom was limited, she was allowed to stay at the only middle eastern base of the ten rings. From there, she would be sent on missions all around the globe, but at least she could stay in her home. While she was treated a lot worse in Afghanistan than in the Chinese headquarters, she couldn't find it in her heart to leave.