.3

.3

Failed Diplomacy

June 2016

United Nations Office of Vienna, Austria

Diplomacy had never been, nor will it ever be, Amina Khan's forte. She was taught how to gain the upper hand through violence. Dozens and more of people all together, negotiating and signing something they all agreed to, together, was not something she was used to.

She looked so out of place in the United Nations Office. While she was dressed elegantly, a dark navy blue pantsuit covering her body, she didn't know what she was going. She stood by the windows, watching the world below, her arms crossed. While she certainly looked good in the suit, the double breasted blazer was squeezing her a little too much and her feet ached already from her heels.

Her wrists were red and itchy. She couldn't stop herself from scratching at the skin around her new jewellery. Thanks to Natasha's persuasion skills, she wasn't forced to put both suppression bracelets on. She tried to opt for the left-hand bracelet, but Secretary Ross was clear on the matter that he wanted the suppression bracelet on her dominant hand. She tried not to use it too much, still feeling the pain from when the needles were inserted.

A woman approached her, a clipboard in her hands. "Miss Khan, your signature is needed here," she said, extending the clipboard and a pen to the woman.

Amina frowned. "I already signed them," said the woman, tugging at the cuff of her right sleeve to hide the metallic bracelet. She trued to do everything not to move her wrist too much, hoping the pain would go away. Ross was smart for making her take the bracelet, knowing that even though she knew how to use knives and other weapons with both hands, her right one was always preferred.

"We need your signature again," said the woman, trying to be polite, "to confirm your presence and your participance in the accords."

A long sigh escaped Amina's mouth. She took the clipboard with her left hand and the pen with her right one. She tried to sign quickly, moving her wrist rapidly and swiftly as she pressed against the paper. She gave the items back to the woman when she had signed, who only smiled and left. Amina turned to the window and grimaced in pain, her fingers finding her wrist to press of the red skin in hopes of the pain going away.

She closed her eyes and tried to take a few deep breaths in order to calm down. Her left hand was repeatedly tugging at her sleeve cuff, hoping neither the bracelet nor the redness of her skin could be seen. The bracelet wouldn't be on forever, she knew that. On one side, it would be off the moment she is sent on a mission. On the other side, if the President, Vice-President or Secretary of State see fit, they can order the removal of the bracelet.