Chapter 9: The Aftermath

I watch Sam and Mikaela makeout on the hood of Bumblebee, cringing for his sanity. "Optimus?" I question looking out to the twilight in the sky, the large robot hums, "More will come, won't they?" I question. "We can only hope." He murmurs, "I'd like to make a request, it's going to sound odd... and a little inhuman." I warn carefully looking down at the journal in my lap. "Speak child." He urges, "I was able to track your energy signatures through small pieces of hardware my father had taken from Megatron when he was frozen. But because it was Megatron, his DNA would corrupt the system. If I... If I could take pieces of Jazz, I could create a beacon signal for the other Autobots that come to earth, create a more advanced tracker without running the risk of corrupting the system." I ramble out, getting caught up with the thought of the design. But then I pause and Optimus notices the change.

"I sense you are in distress." He calls, "Humans are often cruel by nature, Optimus, it just looks better to seem nice. I do not trust my kind with that kind of power, to locate you a touch of a finger. The humans are a selfish race, Optimus, my father proved that when he died. Sure I could do a good thing with my designs, but one day Optimus, the humans are gonna wake up on the wrong side of the bed, the wrong person is going to be put in charge, and before you know it they'll be hunting you. For one reason or another and I couldn't live knowing that they'd do it using something I created for a completely different cause." I whisper, clutching my leather bound journal anxiously.

"Then perhaps you should be that person in charge." He offers, I look up at him in shock, "They're not gonna let some kid be in charge Optimus." I scoff. "They will, if you're the only one able to understand us, organize us to work with the humans." He offers, I smirk and quirk my eyebrow at him. "Are you suggesting we blackmail the United States Government for control?" I muse, "It sounds rather harsh when you put it like that." He comments softly. I grin up at the big blue and red robot, "I was never one to be soft." I laugh.

"Besides, Lennox has already step forward to be my foster parent." I sigh out, "The soldier?" Optimus questions, "Mhm, turns out it's not legal for a teenager to be on their own like I am." I joke. "Ratchet has assessed that your brain is above the maturity of your physical age." Optimus argues, "Tell that to the Government. It won't be so bad I hope, maybe I'll actually get a high school diploma." I wonder. "I'm sure you are in safe hands, young one." Optimus assures, "Yeah, just see someone over once in a while, I'm not about to give up my alien hunter card just yet." I grin.  

I heave up the large duffle bag in my arms as I walk to the front porch, glancing behind me to see Ratchet waiting patiently for me to continue inside

I heave up the large duffle bag in my arms as I walk to the front porch, glancing behind me to see Ratchet waiting patiently for me to continue inside. I lick my lips and toy with the ring on my hand, a special gift from the Autobots. On the surface its's just a simple band, but underneath a labyrinth of data. A little ring capable of transforming into a micro-chip, said micro-chip contains the software I developed to track Autobots. Thanks to Ratchet I was able to register the unique energy signatures of the Autobots to keep track of them all while searching for new ones. With a little more tweaking I was able to add a profile data base for every Autobot. Compressing all my paper files into one tiny little ring, only able to be activated by a combination of Jazz's crypto-DNA and my Organic one. A safety measure I had to insist on when programing.

My heart sinks at the thought of Jazz, Ratchet had convinced the government it was vital for him to take parts of Jazz before they dumped him at the bottom of the ocean. Making the point that some of those parts are vital to their systems and if they were to ever to be injured in battle it would be near impossible for them to find it on earth. They agreed and during Ratchets doner harvest he grabbed a few extra things, the material I need for the program and a cannon part. I almost cried when Ratchet explained he gave it to Ironhide as a necessary protection project for me. 'Its what he would have wanted, Jazz always had a soft spot for smaller beings.' Ratchet concludes. 

I spent weeks with the Autobots while Lennox got cleared to have me stay with him, mostly because the Autobots basically fought for custody over me. There was a judge and everything there to review my case. In the end we settled with me living with Lennox but 'interning' for the new Decepticon attack team he now works for with the Autobots. I jump when Ratchet finally grew impatient and honked his horn, I sigh and knock on the door. A pretty blonde woman with a baby on her hip answered, "Hi, I'm Trace." I greet with a weak smile.