𝟏𝟎| 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐫𝐬

CHAPTER TEN:

THE WINTER SOLDIERS

STEVE FOUND HIMSELF walking in the hospital, alone, hands in pockets as he was now out of his suit, a hood covering his head and face

STEVE FOUND HIMSELF walking in the hospital, alone, hands in pockets as he was now out of his suit, a hood covering his head and face. He stops in front of a vending machine, remembering he put the hard drive Fury gave him in there, but it was nowhere in sight.

Just then, the familiar face of Natasha was seen through the glass of the vending machine. Steve turns to face her before grabbing ahold of her forearms, pushing her into another room as her back meets the wall.

"Where is it?" Steve questions.

"Safe." Natasha replies.

"Do better."

"Where did you get it?"

"Why would I tell you?"

"Fury gave it to you. Why?"

"What's on it?"

"I don't know."

"Stop lying."

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers." Natasha states.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve asks.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." Natasha responds.

Steve tights his grip on her. "I'm not gonna ask you again."

"I know who killed Fury." Natasha admits. Steve releases his grip on her. "Most of the intelligence community don't believe they exist. The ones that do call them the Winter Soldiers. They're credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

Steve nods. "So they're a ghost story."

"Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran. Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out. But the Winter Soldiers were there. I was covering my engineer so the female shot him straight through me." Natasha explains, lifting up her shirt, revealing a scar. "Soviet slug. No rifling. Bye-bye, bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." Steve comments.

"Going after them is a dead end. I know, I've tried." Natasha informs, holding up the hard drive. "Like you said, they're a ghost story."

Steve reaches forward, taking the hard drive from her grip. "Well, let's find out what the ghosts want."

~

Now in a mall, Natasha and Steve walked side by side as the blonde continuously glanced around the place they were in. The super soldier had changed out of his sweats, now wearing a pair of jeans, a shirt, with a jacket, along with a baseball cap and glasses. Natasha wore a striped sweater with a jacket over top, the hood covering her head.