𝟏𝟒| 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

THE TRUTH

THE HEROES ALL stood around at a table together after Maria had led them away from the HYDRA agents

THE HEROES ALL stood around at a table together after Maria had led them away from the HYDRA agents. Natasha and Steve were shocked to find out that Nick Fury was actually alive this whole time. The said man sat across from them at the table, a photo of Pierce in his hand.

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury informs.

"We have to stop the launch." Natasha states.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury replies, opening a briefcase.

"What's that?" Sam asks.

"Once the helicarriers reach three thousand feet," Maria begins, turning the computer screen to the three. "they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized."

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury adds.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die." Maria informs.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA." Fury states. "We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything." Steve interrupts, cutting him off. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D."

"S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with this." Fury denies.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s been compromised. You said so yourself." Steve reminds. "HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury replies.

"How many paid the price before you did?" Steve questions.

Fury sighs. "Look, I didn't know about Barnes and Rogers."

"Even if you had, would you have told me?" Steve asks. "Or would you have compartmentalized that, too? S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right." Maria agrees.

Fury glances at her, then at Natasha, who leans back in her chair, then at Sam.

Sam shrugs. "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower."

"Well..." Fury nods a little, looking back at Steve. "It looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

~

Steve stood on a bridge by himself, hands in his pockets as he looked out into the distance. Ever since he found out who the Winter Soldiers were, that's all that had been on his mind. His little sister and his best friend.