Chapter 1: Traces of Words

We start at a run down warehouse full of dents and blood... everywhere. There are men with slashes in their throats and stomachs. There is a man gasping for air as the deadly blonde held the man's head still to the wall. The man's arm has been stabbed through and is stuck where it is. A katana is keeping his arm in place.

"I am going to ask you ONE. MORE. TIME." The blonde man said tightening is grip on the man's hair. "Where. Is. Code headed?" The man tried to use his opposite arm to grab the violent blonde man by the cloak, but failed. The blonde then used a spare kunai and stabbed the man's arm to the wall. "Answer me!" The man smiled and looked the blonde man in his broken blue eyes and answered, "Go to hell."

Within seconds the "victim" was stabbed through the stomach with a kunai. The kunai was then removed to let the man die a quicker death. "You can't win, Boruto! Code already has a plan in motion, and you're no longer apart of it!" Boruto looked the man in the eyes and smiled dangerously... "I have a plan too. It's too bad you won't be around to see it." Boruto then walked away as the man was pleading for his help and walked over the countless bodies sprung on the floor. The dangerous blonde robbed all the men of their cash and left the screaming man to die.

He walked through the freezing wasteland and sighed. "If the kunai didn't kill him... then the weather will." Boruto looked to the cloudy sky and thought to himself, "Why did he resist so much? In the end I didn't even get the information I needed, so what was the point?" He started to walk a bit then activated his Jogan. The light blue color had a few sparks of lighting flicker out of his eye. "Well, back to the base... huh?" As he teleported away, he made a grave mistake. He left the man, screaming... alive.

"Tell me everything, Kotaru," Code said seriously as he patched up the man. The man nodded his head and looked at all the lost men on the ground. " Lord Code, he knows nothing of your plans and it trying to uncover your next move." The man stood up next to Code and Code used his arm to stabilize Kotaru. The injured man continued, "He killed everyone in our troop, but me. He robbed them all. Even took my money straight from me. He must have at least 5,000 ryo on him now." Kotaru clenches his hands. "If I can be helpful to you in anyway, Lord Code, please tell me." Code snickered and said something Kotaru couldn't quite catch. Code started to walk away and over the dead men on the floor of the abandoned warehouse.

"Boruto is underestimating his enemy. He even let you live. He must've assumed you would die of hyperthermia... How pathetic." Code clenched his fists and smiled in excitement. "Finally, someone worthy of my approval. Boruto Uzumaki, Kawaki was right about one thing, your strength does not disappoint but your mind does and so does your heart. That will be your downfall. One day Boruto, one day you will make a very important decision on the battle field of regret. Mark my words, you will see defeat. One day, your decision will change everything." Code then used his claw mark; taking Kotaru and himself to their base.

Boruto felt a chill, although he was currently somewhere in the Land of Water. He looked around and used his cloak to hide his face while in the cities. The wind was strong that day, as if is was going to rain soon. He jumped through the trees until he saw the marking he placed for his base. As he landed at the bases entrance, he felt a pair of eyes staring at him. "Come out or I will make you come out."

Boruto unsheathed his katana and a man about the age of 19, walked out with his hands in the air. "Don't attack, idiot! It's me! I thought you would've memorized my chakra by now!" The man walked slowly to Boruto as the blonde put away his katana. "I was just checking, Ezra. Besides, someone could've copied your chakra." Boruto kind of smirked. Ezra walked over to the bases entrance and opened it; letting Boruto in. He then sweared something under his breath making Boruto look at him with "Sasuke eyes" as Ezra calls it.

"How did the mission go?" Ezra said as he hung up his cloak on the back of the two seated table. "Not as I had planned but I got one bit of information." He looked serious and as he was pulling out tons of cash. "Holy shit, Boruto! Where did you get all this cash?!" Ezra started to grab hand fulls of coins and paper cash. "I took them from the dead men." Ezra dropped the money on the table and gave a 'What-the-ever-lasting-hell-Boruto' face.  "Not cool, dude. Not cool at all. You gotta worn a man about where you get cash from before you let the man touch all of it." Boruto rolled his eyes and left to the kitchen (which was about 10 steps away).  "Money is money. And that's not the point." Boruto started to wash his face of any blood he couldn't wipe off. "Code is planning something big, and I think I know where it is." He walking into the next room that has a huge map on the wall and a table full of katanas, kunai, pouches, and a large jar of cash.

Ezra dropped the "dead guys money" in the jar and whipped his hands on his pants like it would get rid of the fact a man died with that cash in his pocket. " I thought you just said that the mission was basically a fail." Ezra walked next to the very focused Boruto. "No, I said I'd didn't go as planned." Boruto was now looking at Ezra with killing intent. "Okay, may bad. Dude, take a f*cking chill pill." Boruto looked away from Ezra and motioned to the map. "The man I found the information from said something along the lines of, Code has a plan and your not in it... This could hint towards what his alternative plan is." Ezra just looked at Boruto in a upset way. "You spent days looking for that warehouse, used up MY precious time, to come back with a maybe?!" Ezra was pissed, but Boruto could care less. "You're not listening to my words, Ezra. Code planned to find and feed me to a tailed beast to become an Otsutsuki. So my question, why would he all of a sudden stop? Why would he put a temporary hold on that to find something else?"

He walked over to the other room and sat at the table putting his feet on the table along with hands behind his head. "My educational guess would be... he found either someone better or he found an other Otsutsuki, like Ishiki, to praise." Boruto took his feet off of the table and became very serious. "So, why has Code made a new plan not involving me?" Boruto sat closer to the edge of his chair and sat up straight. He raised his fist then came down stringing on the table. "What is Code thinking? What is his new strategy? How can I stop it? And most of all... who else does it involve?"

Boruto remained in a thinking state for the rest of the night and until morning. He was trying to make sense of everything that had occurred and how he was involved. He vowed to find and defeat Code. So why did Code suddenly shift gears? This question came to Boruto's mind... a lot. He wanted to protect who Code's next victim was, but he didn't know who Code was planning to attack. Boruto had fought with Code for about 4-5 years now and he knew Code well. It wasn't like the villain to just change his mind. It was like telling Lord Seventh he had to stop eating ramen... it wasn't in him.

So now the only clue he had to his theory was from a "dead man". Boruto's lead was that he was no longer in the picture. Boruto was just one layer of the onion. He was starting to unravel the truth of the words that man had given him and was doing it semi-successfully. This was a single bump in the dirt road.

"The only other person it could be... Kawaki? But why him? Eida had a promise with Code that Kawaki was to be Eida's. So, did Code break his promise for being impatient? " The answer was right under his nose and he knew it. It would take time and effort, but it could be cracked. Boruto was committed to find out the answer. And wanted to trace it back to the source... Code.