~four~

Nina's eyelids fluttered open, her body bathed in the soft morning light that filtered through the curtains. As she slowly emerged from the depths of slumber, a contented smile tugged at her lips, the remnants of the passion-filled night still etched upon her skin.

But the serenity of the moment was shattered as the shrill ringing of her landline phone pierced the tranquility. She groaned, reluctantly disentangling herself from the warmth of the bedsheets, and reached for the receiver.

"Hello?" She answered, her voice still husky with sleep.

"Nina? It's Alejandro," came the voice on the other end of the line, filled with warmth and affection, "I miss you, cariño. How are you doing? I wanted to check in and hear your voice."

Reality crashed down upon Nina like a tidal wave, guilt and unease washing over her like a torrent. She struggled to compose herself, her mind racing as she fought to keep her voice steady.

"Oh, Alejandro," She replied, her voice betraying a mixture of affection and the weight of her secret, "I miss you too. I'm... I'm doing fine, just tired from the work here."

As Alejandro continued to share snippets of his life in Miami, his voice filled with love and a yearning for her presence, Nina's heart grew heavier. The guilt weighed upon her like an anchor, threatening to drag her into a sea of deception.

She listened intently, her mind torn between the love she felt for Alejandro and the intoxicating connection she had discovered with Javier. Her thoughts were a tempest of emotions, swirling in a tumultuous dance, as she grappled with the truth that now lay hidden beneath her every word.

Alejandro's voice trailed off as he sensed a shift in Nina's demeanor.

"Is everything okay, baby? You sound... different."

Nina's heart raced, panic surging through her veins. She couldn't let Alejandro suspect anything, couldn't bear the thought of hurting him with the truth of her infidelity. She mustered all her strength, forcing a smile into her voice.

"Everything's fine," She replied, her words laced with a feigned reassurance, "It's just been a long few days here. You know how intense the work can be. But I love you, and I can't wait to be back home with you."

Alejandro's voice softened, filled with genuine affection.

"I love you too, Nina. Take care of yourself, and remember, I'm always here for you."

The line went silent as they bid each other farewell, and as Nina hung up the phone, her hand trembled with a mixture of guilt and fear. The weight of her secret pressed upon her, threatening to suffocate her under the weight of her deception.

She rose from the bed, her footsteps heavy as she made her way to the window, gazing out at the world beyond. The morning sun, once a symbol of hope and new beginnings, now seemed to cast a harsh light upon her actions, illuminating the cracks in her carefully constructed facade.

The guilt gnawed at her, clawing at the corners of her conscience. She had always prided herself on her integrity and her dedication to justice, yet here she was, entangled in a web of deceit that threatened to unravel everything she held dear.

As she dressed and prepared to face the day, Nina's mind churned with the weight of her choices. The affair with Javier had awakened a dormant part of her soul, a passion she had denied herself for so long. But it came at a cost—a cost that she was unsure she could bear.

She looked at herself in the mirror, her eyes haunted by the reflection staring back at her. How had she allowed herself to fall into this web of betrayal? How could she continue to live this double life, deceiving the man she had vowed to love and cherish?