~fifteen~

It was 1993, and the news of Pablo Escobar's death sent shockwaves around the world. For Nina and her team at the DEA, it marked the end of a long and dangerous journey. They had finally brought down the most notorious drug lord in history, but it came at a heavy cost.

In the aftermath of Escobar's death, Nina found herself sitting alone in her apartment in Miami. Isabella was with Alejandro for the weekend, and she had a rare moment of peace and quiet. She thought back to the days when she and Alejandro had been partners, both in work and in life. It had been a lifetime ago, it seemed.

Their divorce had been painful, but they had managed to find a way to co-parent Isabella without letting their personal issues interfere. Alejandro had moved back to Miami after Isabella's kidnapping, and he had fought for joint custody. Nina had been hesitant at first, afraid of getting hurt again, but she had seen the love and dedication in Alejandro's eyes when he looked at their daughter.

Now, years after their divorce, they had settled into a somewhat awkward yet amicable co-parenting routine. It wasn't always easy, and there were still moments of tension and bitterness between them, but they both loved Isabella more than anything in the world, and that was enough to keep them going.

As Nina sat there lost in her thoughts, she heard a knock on the door. She frowned, not expecting anyone. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see Javier standing there, a soft smile on his face.

"Javier, what are you doing here?" Nina asked, her heart racing at the sight of him.

"I heard about Escobar," He replied, his voice filled with emotion, "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Nina stepped back to let him in, and he walked in with a hint of hesitation. They hadn't seen each other since he had moved to Texas, and she wasn't sure how to feel about his sudden appearance.

"I'm fine," She said, trying to sound nonchalant, "It's just been a long day."

Javier nodded, his eyes scanning the room before settling on her.

"You did it, chiquita."

"It wasn't just me," She said, looking away, "It was a team effort."

"But you were a big part of it," He said, taking a step closer to her.

Nina's heart skipped a beat at his words, and she tried to push away the feelings that threatened to resurface. They had been through so much together, and their connection was still there, lingering beneath the surface.

"I should have called," Javier said, his voice soft, "I should have been here for you."

Nina shrugged, not wanting to dwell on the past.

"You had your own life to live," She said, "You had to move on."

"But I never stopped caring about you," Javier said, his eyes locking with hers, "I never stopped loving you."

Nina felt her heartache at his words, but she couldn't let herself fall back into old patterns. She had worked so hard to rebuild her life and find some semblance of happiness after their affair had torn her world apart.

"I can't do this," she said, her voice trembling, "I can't go back to how things were."

"I don't want to go back," Javier said, taking another step closer to her, "I just want a chance to start over, to be in your life again."

Nina closed her eyes, trying to block out the memories that threatened to overwhelm her.

"It's not that simple," She whispered.

"I know," Javier said, reaching out to touch her cheek gently, "But I'm willing to try if you are."

Nina opened her eyes to look at him, and she saw the sincerity in his gaze. He had always been there for her, even when she pushed him away. She knew he loved her, and a part of her still loved him too.