25. Danger

Clae and Lena stared after her. Finally Clae said, "well I can see why you don't like her much."

Lena didn't say anything. She seemed deep in thought. Clae's mind was reeling. Damn that woman, she had completely derailed all her plans for that evening. How was she supposed to make romantic suggestions after that rude interruption.

"So anyways, I guess this whole Jasper thing is getting pretty complicated," she said, vaguely curious about the situation.

Lena let out a sigh. "It's always been a problem. Honestly I was afraid he might do something like this. I heard rumors of girls he coerced before who were too afraid to talk about it. He basically raped them. But there was never any hard evidence."

"That's sick," Clae said. She felt nauseous.

"I'm just so fucking glad he didn't get to you. It was too close." Lena turned around and gazed at her. Clae was surprised to see the fear and pain in her eyes. She looked like she might cry.

"Hey," she said, walking forward and taking the other girl's hand. "I'm fine, and so is Jess. You seriously saved our butts. It just sounds like it's gonna be a real problem for you."

Lena shrugged, looking away. "I don't give a shit what they do to me. I just don't want to leave the Academy if I can avoid it. I worry about what could happen there if someone isn't guarding the place. Jasper isn't the only bloodthirsty vampire around."

They were both silent for a moment. Finally Lena squeezed her hand and released it. "I should go."

Clae hesitated. She felt all ruffled and uncertain after that turn of events. But as Lena started to mutter a farewell, she suddenly burst out, "do you want to...get a motel room? Or something?"

It had been a vaguely formed plan and the moment she said it, she thought it sounded tacky. But at the same time, at least she had put it out there. Lena seemed a bit thrown by the suggestion. She just stood there blankly for a moment and then, to her own complete surprise, she nodded.

"Ok," Clae managed to get out, her mouth a little dry. "I um, I sort of called ahead at the Moonbeam Hotel. They have a balcony room available."

Lena stared at her and then laughed. Clae felt embarrassed. "Hey, I just thought it could work well, since we both have roommates and all."

She felt flushed and self-conscious but the next second Lena had walked forwards and taken her hand again. "It sounds great. Is there a minibar?"