Crow's Blood

CHAPTER THREE

Crow's Blood

Alana's POV

Mama wanted to hit me with the spoon in her hand. I could see it in her eyes. It's been a few days now since they brought the young crow here and Mama and Papa both have tried to keep me as secluded from him as possible.

I don't mind that at all. I don't want to be near him. If I get close to him then the others will just say it's because of my crow's blood. The blood I don't have. I hated that everyone treated me so poorly over it. They stayed away from me like I was contagious. Like if I sneezed they'd catch the crow too.

"I seen it Alana, I seen how that boy looked at you the moment your Papa ripped that boy's hood off his head. He liked you too much. Liked what he saw and it wasn't a look of love. That was a look of lust, little girl. He's meaning to hurt you." Mama said as she waved the stew spoon in her hand. "He don't look at you like your Papa ever looked at me."

Papa hardly looked at Mama unless he was drunk enough to remember she was his wife. I didn't ever want that for myself. But more than that, I did not want a man like Jon Snow. I did not want a man who was an oath-breaker and a turn-cloak. I'd rather be forced to marry one of the men here. Any man. Even Tormund who's been through about 3 wives. Each died either in childbirth or shortly after. Torn in two by birthing his monstrous children.

Years ago Papa had gone on a journey. He never told me where he went but he came home with books for me. Tales and stories of knights and princes. Princesses and queens. Love and heartache. Battles and blood. I fell in love with the idea of a man who fights for the woman he loves and longs to be with. I will not fall in love by just a look. I will fall in love by actions. I want my own Daeron the Dragon Knight. My own Florian. My own Robert Baratheon who started an entire war to win back the woman he loved. Although she died before he could save her he still tore the entire kingdom to ribbons to find her and save her.

"Mama he's a crow." I replied with a bite of poison in my voice. "I'd never-"

"I said the same thing, little girl. Now look at me. I had you. I raised your sister as mine own baby when she was less than a year of age. She's been my girl since then and then your Papa came down off the wall and that's how I got you. I will give my life to protect you. Always." Mama had a strange look in her eyes. Something wasn't right when she spoke to me but maybe it was the fear of me going after some stinking crow that consumed her.

I wouldn't do that though. I value myself far more than to ever do that. To love a crow... I'd rather eat dirt. Dirt that had be stepped in and shit in and pissed in for days in a row. Weeks even. Before I'd ever fall in love with a crow. Especially Jon Snow.

Mama's long blonde hair came all the way down her back. She flipped it over her shoulder when she turned away from me. Back toward the stove where she began to stir the stew again. Refusing to look at me while she barked orders at me.

"Papa wants hot wine served with dinner. Spice it up good so it keeps him and the other boys warm. Don't forget his bread and butter too. And don't you dare-"

"Even look at Jon Snow. I know, Mama." I rolled my eyes and suddenly felt the sting of the back of her hand across my mouth. My lip tingling and when I put the tips of my fingers to my lips I could feel where she broke the thin skin on my lips. Blood trickled out and I swallowed heavily. Not once did she feel or look remorseful.

Holding back tears I gathered all I needed to gather and overheard Papa talking with Orell, Tormund, Ygritte, and Jon. I kept my head down and refused to let anyone see that I was about to cry. I didn't like crying. I was a wildling; I should be tough. But I'm not. I'm not like everyone else. Maybe it's because my father is from the south. Maybe it's because I do have crow's blood. Maybe they're right when they say I don't belong here.