13. Starting Out and Goodbyes

The next morning, I woke up. I packed my backpack with everything I'd need- clothes, undergarments, mortal money, drachmas, food, water, and a little bit of nectar and ambrosia. All the girls were probably packing like that too, although Evie would carry makeup and all her beauty products.

Hannah and I walked out together. I was a little scared-no, a LOT scared-but what the Hades, this would be fun-ish, I guess?

My mom and dad were waiting for me. My dad's shoulder was bandaged, but he looked fine. All the girls plus Carter came along eventually.

"Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Jackson," Carter acknowledged.

"Hello, Carter," my dad replied. "Just call us by our first names, Percy and Annabeth."

"Um, okay, Mr. Ja-Percy." Carter corrected himself in time. I snickered.

"Bye, mom. Bye, dad. And mom, I'm sorry I yelled at you last night." I gave both of them a hug.

"I understand." I was almost as tall as my mom. "Good luck. Don't die. We love you."

"Iris-message us if you need help," Dad added.

"Don't worry. I will," I assured. "Thanks. Get better soon, dad."

"You're worth a thousand bullets." my dad smiled and kissed the top of my head.

"Aww!" Evie cooed. "Romance!"

"Eww," Brooke muttered. "Romance."

"Thanks." Hannah smiled. "I doubt she will want to be watched over though."

"It's weird. You are Annabeth's half sister, making you Emily's aunt." Savannah had her bow on her back and her bag in one hand.

"I did not need to know that." Evie sighed. Her backpack was pink and glittery. It had a lot of pockets, but Evie looked like she had some sense and carried food and water. I think she also had mortal money and drachmas. I saw something green and something else...

My parents walked us to the ship Poseidon gave us, and I spun around. "Mom, dad, stop stalking me. I'm twelve years old! You went on your first quest at twelve."

"We know. We just love you too much for you to die." Mom gave me a final hug. "IM us often."

"Nice ship. I don't know if you've got them yet but these are the coordinates for the place you have to go. It's not Mount Othrys. Annabeth's family checked Othrys out. You have to go to an island in the west- it's the middle of nowhere off the coast of Mexico." Dad gave me a hug too.

"An island?" I whispered. "Thanks, dad."

"No problem. Now go." My dad let go of me. "Go to the island."

"Coming... captain?!" Hannah called.

I was CAPTAIN!!! Three cheers for myself!

I walked up the wooden board onto the ship. My friends and Brooke set the sails. I waved to my dad.

"Thank you! Bye!"

Gods! I thought. You'd think this is a Disney movie. I should burst into song.

"No," I corrected. "We set sail to this island. My mom's parents checked out Othrys."

"Now what?" Savannah asked.

"We wait. We sail," Evie answered.

Ships were really boring. I learned that the hard way. We were sailing down the coast of the United States.

"Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!" Hannah and Evie screamed.

"I win!" Hannah screamed, throwing her hands in the air.