Chapter 63

James's POV

"James!" Riley squealed with laughter when I came at her, jokingly trying to hit her with a spoon full of brownie batter.

My family was in the living room, but I asked Riley to come into the kitchen and help me make desert. Anything to keep her away from my family.

"Relax, it's just batter." I respond, backing away.

"These are my good clothes." She exclaims, looking down at her worn down shirt and jeans.

It was such a beautiful day out. Addison and Jessica's son Alexander were out playing in the yard. But I could see my mother glancing into the kitchen from the living room every now and then.

"Can you put the dish in the oven for me?" I ask her.

"Yeah sure." She replies, putting the dish of raw brownie batter into the oven.

"It's a wonder you actually know how to cook." Riley sighs, leaning against the counter.

"Well, I'm full of surprises." I reply, leaning against the counter next to her.

"Oh, I know all about that." She laughs. She wasn't looking at me, but was staring straight ahead. A ghostly smile was playing on her face, and she just looked so damn beautiful. For a moment, it was like I caught a glimpse of my old Riley. My girl.

"What are you staring at?" She asks, turning to look at me.

"Just you." I reply, inching closer towards her. She inches towards me as well, slowly. I began leaning in, and as did she.

Five years. I have been wanting this for five years...

Closer...

One thousand, eight hundred and twenty five days...

Closer...

Forty three thousand, eight hundred and twenty five hours...

Closer...

Two million, six hundred and twenty nine thousand, and seven hundred and forty minutes...

"James! James!" My mother's squeaky voice exclaims, running into the kitchen. Riley backs away, and I couldn't help but feel not surprised at all. It's just my luck.

"Oh, was I interrupting something?" My mother asks.

"I was just, um, going to check on my daughter." Riley says, running out of the kitchen.

"Sorry, I didn't realize I was interrupting anything between you two. Although, the last time I checked, there was nothing going on between you two." Mom says bittersweetly.

"Well for your information, yes, you were interrupting something. And there is something going on between me and Riley. I just don't know what yet." I sigh.

Leaning against the counter again, I looked out the kitchen window into the backyard. Addison and Alexander were playing peacefully while Riley and Jessica chatted. It was nice. Although I would rather if Riley was in here with me, our lips moulded together in a steamy make out.

"Well son, I suggest you figure it out. And when you do, I hope it's the right and better decision." Mom says, walking back into the living room.

The timer on the oven dinged, signalling me to take the brownies out. I slip on the oven mitts and take the hot dish out. Now, we can finally have a hopefully peaceful supper.