𝘝𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘶𝘯𝘰

Today is my engagement party and instead of getting ready, I've been watching Irma clean for at least thirty minutes

Irma has been in this house longer than anyone which means she knows everything.

She knows about my mother.

And I'm sure she knows about Ivan and Arturo since she practically raised them.

Maybe I should ask her instead of waiting for the next scary phone call I'll receive.

I've been trying to work up the courage and ask her but to be honest I'm scared.

"You have been standing there forever, mijita. ¿Qué quieres?" She sighs, keeping her back towards me as she cleans the stove. (What do you want?)

So, she did notice me.

I awkwardly clear my throat and step further into the kitchen. "I wanted to ask you something," I hesitantly tell her as I constantly wipe my sweaty hands down my shorts.

She turns around and gives me a kind smile. "What is it?"

"Pues, I- um, do..do you know what time everyone will be here?" I stutter, avoiding all eye contact with her. I know what time everyone will be here. That was such a stupid question.

She puts her rag down and places one hand on her hip, looking at me strangely. "Everyone will be here at six, mija. I thought you knew that already."

"Oh, well I guess I forgot," I nervously chuckle and turn around ready to exit the kitchen but her voice stops me.

"That isn't what you were going to ask me, Adelina," she says and I mentally curse myself.

I turn back around and exhale deeply. "Is it true that my mother loved Ivan and my father?" I blurt out and her old eyes grow wide.

"Who told you that?" She cautiously looks around the room and walks towards me.

"That's not important. Is it true?" I ask her again but by the serious look on her face I know that it is. I just want to hear the words from her mouth.

She looks away from me for a moment, debating whether to tell me the truth or a lie. "I need to know Irma, please," I desperately ask and her eyes soften at my plea.

She sighs but slowly nods her head. "It's true."

"Is that why my father doesn't talk about her?" I maintain my voice at a low level, worried that someone might hear us and stop this conversation before Irma can give me more information.

"It's more complicated than that, Lina," she briefly closes her eyes.

"Why?" I push for an answer.

"Mija, you deserve to know the truth but I shouldn't be the one to tell you," she softly says and I shake my head.