Forty

Mouse drove down the coast with the windows down. He loved Charley more than he thought possible and yet here he was questioning his relationship with her. Why? He was happy with how things were a week ago. Happy until her brother had to say something. He wasn't mad at Alex. Alex simply pointed out what Mouse already knew. Sure, he could be childish and immature; that wasn't new information. What Alex did do though was get into his head about Charley and what she deserved. She was a gorgeous nurse who was incredibly selfless, loved deeply and deserved the sun, moon and stars. Could he really give her everything she deserved? He was a traveler, exploring the world whenever he could. Was that the lack of stability Alex mentioned he had? There were so many thoughts swirling around his brain. His phone rang on the seat next to him, snapping him out of his thoughts. He saw Charley's caller ID pop up and for a moment, he thought about answering. He knew what would happen if he did though. He needed to figure out this on his own. His phone soon fell silent as her call went to voicemail. A moment later, it rang again, her caller ID popping back up. Reaching over, he turned his phone off. He couldn't handle the torture of seeing her call him. Staring ahead, he continued to drive down the open road. He wasn't sure exactly where he was going; all he knew was that he needed to get away from Charley for a little. To get away from Bondi and Bronte, and everyone who would eventually ask him what was going on between the two of them. He loved Charley so damn much, but he was starting to realize maybe he wasn't good enough for her. She had been so hesitant to start up a relationship with him again, scared that they had changed too much to be compatible. Maybe she was right. In silence with nothing but the wind howling through his windows, he continued his drive down the coast.