Chapter 1: Onary's Powers

Ves walked in the town before heading to his mother's den. He always liked to take a stroll in his hometown.

"Hey, Ves" smiled a stranger.

"Hi, nice to see you again." The stranger smiled, moving out of his way. Ves passed the blacksmith before heading to his mother's. He saw a light gray cat chained to the floor with a muzzle over their mouth. She couldn't burn the metal because they were fire-proof. He felt sorry for the Kasai cats.

"What's happened?" he asked her quietly. She starred at him.

"If the Sky Ancients choose anyone to be a Kasai, the town, all towns, capture them. Few escape and live somewhere secret," she explained. "Once I got my powers, my parents sold me out to the town and was turned to a servant." She started crying. The blacksmith came out yelling at Ves, so he decided walk away.

As he walked away from his town, his mother's house became more visible. His mother, Nala, had lived further away from the town with no other dens next to her. Ves was only staying for a few days then was back to living on his own.

"VES!" yowled a voice. Ves turned his head only to get pinned by a small cat.

"Hey, Onary." he laughed. "Good to see you, brother." The small green cat leaped off him and to the side.

"You excited to get your powers?" he asked Onary as he got up. In response, Onary nodded his head accidently. Onary had turned ten and the Sky Ancients would choose his Tribe that night.

"Come on! Bumble is already there!" the small cat ran towards the den. Ves chuckled and followed behind him.

"Hi, brother!" Ves was welcomed by his younger sister, Keshinia, as he entered the den. He smiled at her and looked around the room for his mother.

"You still have your father's bandana.." grinned a cat sitting next to Onary.

"I never took it off," he said. Nala walked towards her son and gave him a hug. Ves hugged her back.

"I've missed you, Ves. You and Fodder," she mumbled, holding back tears.

"Speaking of Fodder, where is he? I thought he would be here by now." Ves looked around the room for his older brother. His mother shook her head.

"I don't think he'll be coming." Onary flattened his ears and sat. Ves knew he wanted to see his older brothers dearly. "But, let's not worry about him. Onary, come. I have something for you to wear during the ceremony." Ves watched his mother and youngest sibling disappear in the parent room.

"So, what have you been up to Ves?" Bumble, Ves's twin brother, asked him.

"Nothing much. I've just been staying in a nearby village. Got a job as a store merchant. Fifth teen bucks an hour." Ves, Bumble, and Keshinia chat while they waited for their mother and Onary. The green cat came out of Nala's room wearing a starry cloak.

"I remember when Dad wore that. It was his good luck charm," Bumble sighed. It had been six years since their father, Hedrick, had died fighting the war.

                                                            ---

"Come, Onary. It's nearly midnight and the Sky Ancients don't like delays," Nala informed Onary. The family headed out to the little open field behind there house and just before the forest. Ves, Bumble, and Keshinia went to the sides of Onary and Nala stood behind him.

"Sky Ancients, we humbly ask that you have the right choice for my son. He has reached the age of ten and is awaiting for you to give him his powers," Nala chanted. The moonlight shined on Onary. Ves curled his tail, proud.

Onary lifted his head to the moonlight and closed his eyes. His fur was waving in the wind. His starry cloak blew in the wind as well. His eyes were white for a second, then returned to normal. The moonlight stopped shining on Onary. The wind wasn't blowing anymore.

"Well..what powers did you get?" Keshinia asked quickly. Onary started coughing. The family saw flames coming from his mouth. "A...Kasai?"