Chapter 8: Ambush

General Nolian placed Ves and the others in a throne room with some guards to watch them as she searched for Lord Maisl.

"So, what tribe did the Sky Ancients place you four in?" Misseg asked.

"Thats a little personal," Ves growled, curling his tail around Onary. Keshinia sat next to Unamik and Bumble sat on the other side of Ves. 

"Well, I just thought it might've been nice to ask. Just to spark a little conversation," he said, rolling his eyes. 

"Fine. Me and Bumble are Kaze. Keshinia is Mizu. Unamik is Raito. And Onary is right now a Muryoku."

"Wow, that's quite a variety," he chuckled. "I can't wait for Feather to receive his powers." Keshinia smiled.

"How old is your son?" she asked. 

"Six years. He's wishing for a little brother at the moment. He sure is something. Reckless, but adorable. He's the one that causes the most trouble in the Tribe." Keshinia smiled. The cats in the room turned their heads to the two wide doors that opened. 

"I'd like to present to you, Lord Maisl and Lady Ferian. Along with the princes, Prince Lemon and Prince Sarga!" General Nolian moved out of the way to show the ruler of the Chikyu Tribe. His crown was made of gold with rubies and a robe. Lady Ferian wore the same thing but a smaller crown. 

"What have you brought to me this time, Nolian?" Lord Maisl asked. Sarga approached the cats he once walked with. The cat that Ves assumed was Prince Lemon walked behind Sarga. 

"They don't seem like a threat, father," Lemon said. Lord Maisl looked at General Nolian.

"My lord. We found them wandering on your territory. We brought them here to you so you could decide what to do with them."

"Tell your side of the story," Maisl ordered Ves.

"Me, my siblings and Unamik were travelling through the forest. We didn't know we were on your territory." The Lord turned his head to Nolian.

"Were they doing anything suspicious?" The General shook her head. "Anything dangerous?" She shook her head again. "Then you had no reason to bring them here. They were simply just passing through." Maisl approached them.

"I apologize for Nolian's actions. Maybe being General for so long has made her too confident in her decisions. Anyways, you are welcome as a guest to the Chikyu kingdom. All of you. Nolian will set you up with a house. Stay as long as you want." Nolian nodded her head and led the cats out of the kingdom and down a set of stairs. 

"During your stay, Lord Maisl's chefs will provide you with enough food to feed all five of you." The cats approached a tree trunk with a door and Nolian opened it. Ves and the others stepping into the trunk house and looked around. Branches were stairs that led to different parts of the tree. Ves climbed them and found a little hole with a circular bed inside. 

"You'll be staying here till you leave. If you have any questions or concerns, find me or Misseg. I wouldn't go to the Lord as he's busy." Onary rushed up the tree branches to the tallest hole.

"I call this one!" he exclaimed. Nolian chuckled. 

"He reminds me a lot of my son," she said. "Anyways, enjoy your stay." The General closed the door and left. Ves climbed the branch stairs and walked towards Onary.

"I gonna have to ask you not to use your powers. Can you do that for me?" The young cat sheepishly nodded his head with a smile.

"I can sure try. But I wanna get used to using them," he whined. 

"Have you looked around? We're inside a plant, one of the most flammable objects in the world. If you use your powers, you could accidentally cause a fire. The Tribe could think we're here to attack and imprison us. Or worse." He ruffled Onary's head tuft. "I promised Mom I'd look after you and Kesh, didn't I?" Onary giggled and nodded. 

"Alright, I won't. But can I practice when we leave?"

"You sure can." 

                                                               ---

As Ves stretched with a yawn, voices could he heard outside the trunk house. 

"Bumble, any idea what's going on?" he asked his brother.

"No idea. Maybe a celebration? I do hear screaming." Ves shook his head and exited his hole.

"No, I don't think it's a celebration. It sounds more like a terrified scream." Ves jumped from branch to branch quickly and rushed to the door, opening it once he got close enough. General Nolian jumped towards Ves.

"Look out!" she shouted, pushing Ves away from the doorframe and kicking it closed. "We're under attack!"

"By who?!" Ves asked immediately.  

"The darn Doku Tribe. Blasted poison cats. This is the third attack this moon! Although, it's never been this serious." Misseg busted through the door and shut it, holding a kit in his jaw. "Feather! Misseg! I'm so glad you two are okay!" The kit Misseg held was brown with some white areas.

"I'm not going to be able to tell all these cats to find the shelter behind the castle. Half the army is guarding the royals!" Bumble approached the Chikyu army general. 

"I can help, Nolian."

"What? You want to help?"

"Sure! I'm a Kaze! I'm faster and can dodge attacks better. I'll be able to warn half the Tribe within ten minutes."

"I would appreciate that, thank you." Bumble nodded and walked out the door, wishing luck to the others then darted off.

"We can help defend the Tribe from the Doku. We don't have much fighting experience, but we'll try. You've given us more hospitality than anything." Ves turned to his younger brother. "You will go with Misseg and stay there until this is over." Onary rolled his eyes but nodded and followed Misseg. 

Ves ran into battle and started to claw a blue and green Doku cat while Nolian worked on two while Unamik and Keshinia bit another. Ves quickly turned around and pounced onto another cat. But he saw something. A cat wearing a mask. The Doku cat he pinned pushed him off with his hind legs and Ves landed onto the dirt. The Doku can ran towards him but stopped, frozen. His eyes weren't moving. His jaws remained open and still.

The green cat with the cat walked past the frozen cat and towards Ves. He stood his ground and snarled at the stranger. The Doku cats all stopped fighting and looked at the mysterious cat with the skull mask. 

"What-" Ves looked at the green cat's eyes. "Who are you?" The cat didn't respond. He instead disappeared and all the Doku cats started running off in different directions. 

"Ves, you okay?" Bumble asked as he, Nolian, Keshinia, and Unamik darted towards him. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that cat with the skull seemed familiar. Like I've seen him before."