𝟏𝟔. 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭-𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐱

i've been locked inside your heart-shaped box for weeks. ~ nirvana

"where the hell is she!" liv stood in her room. looking down at the carpet. lola's mom had busted through the door telling her that it was already the next day and she was still asleep.

finally realizing that lola wasn't there at all. liv looked back up. "she's in new york, she left with cliff." she grumbled.

"why did you let this happen!" "i didn't she left on her own!" blake shoved her hands through her hair. "why would she let that damn boy who broke her heart back into her life?"

liv shrugged and looked back down. "they can't stand each other." blake let out an airy laugh. "that's what they all say." and walked out of the room. the rest of the family in the hall listening to the entire thing.

she fell back onto her bed. almost wishing that she left with lola.

-

everyone was in lola's hotel room. james cliff and lars looking absolutely hungover. "so how was the herpes sesh?" she asked sarcastically.

james and lars grunted and massaged their heads. cliff only looking at lola then turning back to write lyrics.

lola's gaze lingered on him for a while before the front door unlocked. dave walking in with takeout. lola sighed im relief.

"i'm gonna die." james said as he stood up. eyes landing on a picture under the couch. reaching down to pick it up.

"lo you left something on the floor." lola whipped her head around at james looking at the picture. it was of her and liv, one of the last photos they took.

she was in her black cap and gown sitting on a staircase. liv was next to her, that damn dark blue dress and red lips. lola was flipping off the camera while liv was laughing. it was something caught in the moment.

she walked up to james. him raising his arms up so she couldn't get it. "give it back hetfield!" she said trying to reach for it. eyes never leaving the picture.

"lola who is that?" he asked. slowly giving it back to her. still trying to catch a glimpse as lola put it in her pocket to stick on her mirror later.

"um that's liv my cousin." lola mumbled. already not liking where the conversation was going. "jesus she's fucking gorgeous." he said.

lola smacked the side of his head. james yelping. "not after last night, no way." james smirked. "i would give up everything for her." lola shoved him.

"stop it your not funny." she said. his expression turned serious. "i'm being real." lola took a deep breath in. "well she's in california so there's no way your going to get her." and walked back to the table.

james running a hand through his hair and walking behind her. the boys were already demolishing the food. cliff mumbling something about no manners.

sitting next to dave, she piled some on her plate. "i think this album's going to be groundbreaking." lars said. mouth stuffed.

"yeah if you can get your drumming right." dave shot back. the table laughing except for lars who rolled his eyes.

james side eyed dave. "i'm still so confused, what was the four horsemen supposed to be originally?" dave chuckled. "it was supposed to be called the mechanix before gremlin over there didn't like it." pointing at lars with his chopsticks.

-

weeks had passed and tensions were only getting higher between lola and cliff, and dave a james. every session becoming a yelling match between dave and the other guys.

and cliff hardly speaking to lola. she almost wanted to slap his damn face and ask why he brought her all the way here if he was just going to ignore her.

but she didn't, and probably never will.

apparently dave was fired for punching james in the face and being a violent alcoholic. but so far, he only really got into it with lars and james.

and what scared here were the midnight talks of firing dave. he had become one of her best friends. they could talk to each other about anything.

the conversation usually leading to them talking about their childhoods and how screwed up they were sometimes.

and so dave and lola sat on the roof of the hotel, talking about random shit as usual. "so do you and cliff just act like you hate each other? or can you really not stand each other." lola let out a fake laugh before looking at the night sky.

"no we for sure hate each other." dave raised his eyebrow at her. "is it mutual hate? or does he just hate you and you have to act like your not cracking at the seams every time you see him." lola looked back at him.

"wow you really are good at reading people." he hummed and looked at the sky just like she previously had. "you know all i have is you guys and my mom right?" he said.

lola hummed in response. "the five of us are going to go places, i can feel it." he said. she rested her head on his shoulder.

in the time they had spent, dave was more of a brother to her than what her actual brother had been like. and lola was like his sister, a sister that he was going to protect no matter what.

"yeah me too, but that's the thing about dreams. you wake up and it all comes crashing down." he nodded in agreement.

lola took a deep breath in before resting her eyes. imagining cliff holding her and telling her everything was going to be alright.

but then again, reality crashes down. and it sure crushed lola when she opened her eyes and he wasn't actually doing what she wished he was.

her heart cracked even more as she heads a bass come from somewhere in the building. he was locked in her mind. a fist around her heart that only he could pry off.

he can't hurt her again. not as bad as he hurt her the last time.