𝟒𝟗. 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥

but maybe this thing was a masterpiece 'till you tore it all up, running scared, i was there, i remember it all too well ~ taylor swift

"we haven't had in interview in so long." lola said nervously to cliff. both of them standing behind the stage curtains, the rest of the band already had mic's attached to them or were in the process of getting them.

it was an interview that was being hosted by the medias number one gossip queen. why their management decided to chose her to ask questions about master of puppets and their upcoming album, lola would never know.

"don't be nervous. just say fuck it and answer the question normally." cliff said. tucking a stray hair behind her ear and kissing her cheek. "you guys ready?" a man asked from a loud speaker. cliff and lola took this as their que to go on stage.

unbeknownst to the pair, someone was watching their entire interaction.

-

"ladies and gentlemen we are back from the commercial break and with our hottest band yet metallica!" the interviewer yelled as the crowd roared in applause. lola shyly kept her head kinda down, felling awkward with the crowd without her bass in her hands.

the interviewer cleared her throat before talking again. "so boys and girl! tell me about what type of relationships you guys are in! who are the lucky woman and man that has their hooks in a metallica member!?"

the boys and lola shyly looked down and laughed. it was james who spoke up first. "well i am married and so is kirk." the crowd all gasped and cheered. the lady only raised her eyebrows. giving pointed glances at lola. it was clear she wasn't really interested in what the boys had to say. turning her chair to fully face lola. she immediately became shy and wanted to leave the building.

"i bet these boys and millions of women at their feet! but do tell me miss alanis, who is the lucky duck that wakes up next to you every morning?" lola didn't know what to say. the answer was obvious, cliff, but for some reason. she didn't say it. a moment she would regret for the rest of her existence.

lola shook her head. "um actually i don't have a boyfriend." she muttered quietly. the interviewer immediately jumped up in her seat, already living for the drama she was creating.

glancing over at cliffs defeated face. she smirked lightly to herself. "really? i think that's so interesting that a gorgeous woman like you doesn't have a man." she said. noticing the body posture of both the bassists. she had been watching their interactions, it was obvious that they had something for each other.

her work here was done.

-

lola and cliff had been silent on the ride back to the hotel, the elevator ride, and the door creak that let them into their room. she went over to the closet and shoved her coat off, slipping her shoes off and setting them next to the door. lola didn't even have time to really set her jacket in the closet before the yelling started.

"really! you don't have a boyfriend! what the fuck is this lola? are we just best buds? are we strangers? lola why the fuck would you say something like that? you act all heartbroken and then we finally get our shit together and you pull this?"

lola rolled her eyes and swiped her nose, a habit she had since she was a kid to stop the tears from falling. "ok captain obvious, you tell me what this is! you never once called me your girlfriend! you are still a cold asshole that hurt me!" she yelled back. cliff slammed whatever he was holding onto the counter, making lola jump.

"you have no idea what you did to me today!" "oh please GIVE ME A BREAK! YOU LEFT ME BURTON." cliff angrily ripped his shirt from his chest over his head. and lola ignored the jolt in her body from it. "WOULD YOU GET OVER THAT! IT WAS YEARS AG-" "I DONT CARE, I HAVE NEVER FELT PAIN LIKE THAT BEFORE AND IT WAS BECAUSE OF YOU, YOU LEFT ME!" lola and cliffs neck veins were engorged. the screaming match only getting more heated.

"I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!" lola yelled, thick rivers of tears flowing out her eyes, no matter how hard she tried to keep them at bay. "SO GO! LEAVE IF YOU CANT HANDLE IT! ILL FIND A NEW PLAYER!" cliff yelled. he hadn't been this mad in a while. he didn't know why lola not telling the lady about their relationship set him off so horribly.

lola shoved her shoes back on. tears clouding her vision again. "I WILL, FUCK YOU BURTON!" lola screamed. making her way through the foyer and into the from door. the feeling of depression, the anxiety, the lost will to do anything anymore, gone.

oh hell no, not again.

"lola, lola, hey i don't wanna fight." cliff said calmer than he had been mere seconds before. holding her closer and closer to his chest. letting lola sob into the denim of his jacket.

lola sniffed hard a couple times. "i'm sorry." she whispered against him. holding onto him like an oath. "i'm sorry for not telling them." cliff only shook his head frantically. "don't worry about it, it was the heat of the moment, i should never have left you they first time." he said. and lola swore she heard a crack in his throat.

harshly pressing her lips against his, cliff layed her flat on the kitchen table. quickly undressing her, him still fully clothed, down to his cowboy boots. gasping into his shoulder while he went.

it was his way of saying her regret leaving her and that he would never do it again. and it was her way of saying that she believed him.

"i love you." he said softly against her ear. his voice only making lola weaker. propping up the best she could without collapsing, lola softly pressed her lips against his again.

"i know you do."