3

Eid Mubarak

-• hatred •-

Yuvraaj Singh Chauhan

On the flight back to Jaigarh, I'm served with a glass of wine and a bunch of magazines. I look through the wide variety of options. Forbes, Vogue, Muse, Femina, Harper Bazaar, and several other. But not a single copy of Icon. If it's not already clear, the magazine is so full of jejune and uninteresting substances that it isn't even worth keeping on an hour short commercial flight.

I shuffle through the stack of magazines, pulling out Muse.

For the next twenty minutes, I flip through the forty pages magazine, trying to see what's so interesting about it that has the netizens in chokehold

For the next twenty minutes, I flip through the forty pages magazine, trying to see what's so interesting about it that has the netizens in chokehold. But except for beauty tips, a few interviews and photoshopped, flashy pictures of men and women in fancy clothes, I find nothing noteworthy.

"What's so interesting about this?" I ask my secretary.

She doesn't have to look inside to figure out the answer, pointing at the cover in a split of a second. "Elina Parker."

"Who's she?"

Zoya grabs her phone from her jeans pocket and opens one of the social media apps. Then she types Elina Parker in the search box, drawing up a profile page of the said woman.

"21 Million followers?" I lift an impressed brow. "What does she do?"

"She's...... Uhm, she's an influencer."

I blink. "What does that mean?"

Zoya sits straight, strangely uncomfortable with the conversation. "She, uh, she influences people."

"That's a job?"

"It's a sort of profession in the entertainment industry now, yes."

"Well, wha- what does that entail? Like what are the necessary skills?"

Zoya scratches the corner of her left eye, breaking our eye contact to look down at the magazine. But it doesn't look like she's trying to find an answer in it, it's more like she knows the answer, but doesn't know how to articulate it. Which is surprising, since Zoya is a very straightforward woman. That's one of the many reasons why she has been by my side for over fifteen years.

"She records the glimpses of her daily life, they're basically called vlogs nowadays. And she writes blogs, oh and.... she promotes sustainable fashion. She also gives out beauty tips." Zoya lists out, before ending it with, "And she's a daughter of a very famous veteran actor of the movie industry. He's a big deal in both Bollywood and Hollywood. His father was too. They're like... They're like GOATS."

My brows crunch in bewilderment. "Goat. Goat as in the animal?"

"Oh, no," Zoya shakes her head. "GOAT as in greatest of all times. It's an acronym."