33

-• i'm just getting started •-

The evening Madhav Sehgal is brought home, it rains heavily. Sara stands with his son in the family's living room, smiling welcomingly at the paralysed man being carried in a wheelchair. "Papa!" Little Vishal tears himself off his mother's friend, rushing to his father's side and kneeling in front of him, eyes narrowing in confusion when his father doesn't react, only blinks. "Mumma, what's wrong with Papa?" He looks up at his mother standing next to his father. "Why isn't he speaking?"

Vaidehi looks away guiltily.

Sara comes closer and squats next to the little boy. "Didn't I tell you, Vishal?" She places a tender hand on the kid's shoulder. "Your dad is a little sick. He's on meds. Once he gets better, he'll start speaking again. But until then, you've to act like everything's normal and not trouble your mumma or papa, okay?"

His downcasted eyes fall lower in grief. "So dad's never speaking to me again?"

"That's totally not happening!" Three heads turn as Karan walks in holding the bags and raincoat. He drops them both near the entrance of the living room and approaches his nephew with a beaming smile on his face. Sara scoots back when Karan kneels near them and cups Vishal's cheek fondly. "It's a secret but I'll let you in since we're family,"

Vishal hums. "In family no secrets!"

"Exactly!" Karan nods. "So the secret is...." He builds up the excitement and Karan leans in eagerly, waiting for the revelation, "that I can actually talk to your papa!"

Vishal gasps. Hands flying to his mouth. "Sacchi!? (Really!?)"

"Yes!"

He looks offended, almost betrayed. "But why only you!?"

"Because I'm his brother. I've been with him since he was a kid. We have special connection."

"I want special connection too!"

"There's a special requirement you need to fulfill if you want that special connection." Karan informs.

"Whatever it is, I'll do it."

"Pakka? (You sure?)" Karan challenges him.

"Promise!" Vishal states.

Vaidehi and Sara share a smile at the innocent exchange.

"Alright then, first of all, you need to be a good boy. Like no negotiations there. Then you need to make sure your mumma is never sad and lastly, you gotta be happy."

Vishal sighs. "that's a lot."

"It is what it is." Karan shrugs.

Vishal looks at his mother who smiles down at him tenderly, then at his chachu and lastly at his father, seemingly making a decision instantly after. "Okay. Done. Promise!"

"Great! Now I'll take your father upstairs to his room and until then, you go have your dinner!" He pats his little butt.

Vishal gets up, kisses his father's unresponsive hand and dashes into the dining hall, his nanny right on his tail requesting him to slow down.

Releasing a heavy sigh, Karan gets up on his feet. Sara follows. The two glance at each other, get reminded of the last conversation they had in the hospital's cafe and awkwardly look away at the same time.

"You two look like you've something to talk about. So I'll leave you guys to it and take Madhav to his room." Vaidehi excuses herself from the pair, heading towards the newly installed elevator in the mansion for an easy commute from one floor to another. As soon as the metal doors slide close, Karan leads Sara into the open backyard of the mansion. She follows unwillingly.