Prologue

Prologue

I was livid. For some reason Adam couldn't understand it, but I was seriously pissed off. Maybe he didn't care, maybe he'd thought it was no big deal or some kind of joke. I don't really know but I saw it for what it was. Hate, prejudice, and just another way for the town to say hey, fuck you. You're not wanted here!

"Maybe Martha Callaway with go with me." There, he'd done it again. Smiling and laughing, yeah it was all some big joke to him. Why couldn't he see how this was affecting me? I didn't need jokes right now, I needed to punch somebody.

I tried to push in my underwear drawer but the fucker wouldn't budge so I gave the front of the dresser a hard kick. The mirror rattled and probably would have fallen off had it not been bolted down. A few other items fell over and a bottle of spray deodorant rolled under the bed but I didn't care. I spun around and glared at him. "You're not very funny." I said, or more like growled. "Doesn't this piss you off at all?"

He shrugged. "Sure, it pisses me off, but what can we do about it?"

"Fight it!" I practically screamed at him. "Go to the school board, hell we can take it to the Mayors office, of higher up if we have to. But don't just lay back and take it like it means nothing!"

He slipped off the bed calmly, his tall, thin body gliding over to me then he stopped, wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against him.

"Adam." I protested against his embrace. "This isn't..."

"Hush." He scolded, and I obeyed. Adam was taller than me. Definitely stronger than me and usually took on the dominant role in our relationship. He was more laid back then I was though and usually the least likely one to blow their stack. That was my job. I was overly emotional, pissed off at the world, and yeah, I admit it, I had a major chip on my shoulder. Adam didn't see the injustice in the world like I did, at least he didn't seem to. Maybe he was just better at keeping his emotions in check unlike me who was a powder keg ready to explode. His calm and cool personality must have had some affect on me because he seemed to be the only person that could keep me under control. Had anyone else attempted to hug me while I was in this volatile mood, I'd have likely punched them.

I melted against Adams chest and eventually wrapped my arms around his waist as he stroked my back in a calming manner. My breathing became more regular and I eased up a bit though I was still upset, I just wasn't as murderous as I'd been a moment ago.

"We can appeal to the school board, if that's really want you want." He said softly, placating me.

I nodded. "We can't just let it slide. It's not fair."

"I agree." He said. "It's not fair, life rarely is."

I was so hell bent on standing up for our rights that I never really considered the back lash that we were sure to get from rocking the proverbial boat. Adam was just trying to pacify me though. Truly, he was stuck between a rock and a bitch of a boyfriend that was determined to get his way, no matter what the cost. In hindsight maybe I could have chosen to take the more laid-back approach, I should have actually, but I didn't. That was mistake number one. Adam knew what the answer was going to be before we had even contacted the school board. I think, deep down, I did too. That's what pissed me off the most. Whatever we tried, no matter who we talked to, it wouldn't have made a difference. Their minds were made up and we'd lost before the battle had even begun. So, in response to their rejection of our request, I staged a personal protest. That was mistake number two. Mistake number three was dragging Adam along with me down my path of self-destruction. But, when you're an idiot with a cause, you don't think about the repercussions of your actions because you have it in your brain that you're right and to hell with anyone that thinks otherwise. They wanted a fight and I was going to give them one and that...that was my last mistake...