Chapter Three (Sample)

Mt. Pleasant wasn't as much a mountain as it was just an extremely large hill. Those who choose to venture up to the top had the option to drive along the winding dirt road, or they could hike up the side. The gate leading up the hill was closed and locked at sunset but anyway who felt the need could still hike if they really wanted but they would be hoofing it through dense trees and total darkness.

Neither I nor Adam had any intention of climbing a hill at night so when he said to meet him there at sunset I knew instantly that he meant the parking lot below which was really just an empty field. Nice place to have a picnic and let your kids and dogs play, horrible place to get stuck when it rained, but on a warm, dry, quiet night, it provided enough privacy for young couples to park and fool around a bit. It was a very well secluded piece of land in the middle of the country with shitty phone reception. Why had it never occurred to me before that all cheesy horror movies started out that way?

When I turned off of the paved road into the field I was relieved to see Adams truck parked a ways back next to a small patch of trees. Not as thick as the forested slope on the other side of the gravel drive but it was summer and the leaves were full enough to shield our vehicles from the road, especially at night. I pulled up beside Adam's beaten-up old ford and parked. I still had my lights on when I got out of the car and practically ran to him, my adrenaline pumping and the excitement of the nights events just pouring off me. Adam looked confused at first when he saw the blood on my white pant leg but his confusion melted into relief when I threw myself into his arms laughing. I kissed him hard on the mouth and he wrapped his arms around me, holding me tight while I tried to calm down enough to tell him what had happened.

Cheryl exited the car next and walked over to where we were and once Adam had pried me off of him, gave her a friendly hug. He turned in my direction once again and glanced down suspiciously at my leg.

"You went to the school then I'm assuming." It was more of a statement than a question. I only nodded. "Either of you going to tell me what happened?"

Cheryl and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. Not the reaction he'd expected, I'm sure.

Adam led us to the bed of his truck where he had a blanket and a cooler of Seagram's variety pack set up, originally just for him and me, a prelude to what was to come next, but since Cheryl was here now we all decided to pile into the back and crack open a few while we rehashed the evening to Adam. I explained how I'd gone there and was ready to waltz inside and declare that they couldn't keep me out when I started watching the other students walking in, all dressed up and so happy looking. I told him I'd changed my mind and decided to leave but then Cheryl showed up and so I got out of the car to talk with her and that was when Pepper made her appearance.

From that point Cheryl took over, telling him about the verbal exchange and then how Cheryl had slapped her in the face at which point all hell broke loose. We sat there for over an hour, drinking, and talking, laughing, and just having a good time. Honestly, it was great. Hanging out with my friends was better than some dumb old prom. Even Cheryl didn't seem to mind missing out though she was a little disappointed that she'd missed the chance to hook up with Chad Evans. I smirked and told her that was unlikely as I was pretty sure he played for a different team. She gave me a playful punch in the arm, saying my gaydar was off, I didn't think so but I let her believe what she wanted.

We were down to the last wine cooler and the excitement of the night had worn down a bit. Adam and I were ready for some alone time but neither of us wanted to be rude. To Cheryl's credit, I think she picked up on it by herself. She gave me a knowing smile and then mentioned something about an after-prom party that should be starting up soon. She hadn't planned to go originally but after what happened earlier, she was curious to find out what people were saying.