Chapter Two (Sample)

I pulled into the parking lot, maneuvering around the maze of cars already parked there, and pulled up beside an old ford near the back of the lot. I was shocked at how many people were already there, it wasn't even dark yet but I supposed they were all eager to get there. As eager as I would have been had I been walking into the auditorium on the arm of my boyfriend. As it was now I was starting to sweat, my hands were shaky, and my heart was racing. I don't know what I was so nervous about, I'd already figured on being publicly ordered off the property, what more could they do? Spank me? But as I sat there, my breathing becoming more ragged, I was suddenly unsure of myself. The thought entered my mind to just turn around and drive away. I had maybe twenty minutes till sunset and Adam was waiting on me. I'd much rather be with him than where I was. I didn't know exactly what he had planned but I suspected that it involved the two of us, someplace romantic, and with a lot less clothing than I currently had on.

I sat there, motor running, for a good three or four minutes, just watching couples arriving and getting out of their cars, happily walking into the dance with their significant others. The girls were all a sparkle in their prom dresses, hair and make-up professionally done, jewelry glittering beneath the decorative lights that lined the entrance. The guys were cleaned up too, dressed in suits and ties. Guys I normally see everyday at school, wearing torn jeans and T-shirts, some in flannel, most with scuffed shoes and wild, unkempt hair. They actually looked respectable for once in their elegant formal wear. I envied them.

I slouched down in my seat, head resting back as I looked up at the ceiling of my car. Was it so wrong that I wanted to walk under those lights with Adam? Was it wrong of us to actually think that we could be like a normal couple? To be accepted and allowed to celebrate with the rest of our "straight" class? I didn't think it was too much to ask. We weren't degenerates or even troublemakers really. We were good kids. For the most part. My war against the school and powers that be was just a hiccup in a relatively flawless record. I just wanted someone to stand up and take notice that we were being treated unfairly, and that this stupid town needed to move into the twenty-first century with the rest of the Country.

Well, I suppose, it never hurt to have a dream. I hated the idea that I couldn't enjoy my senior prom, but did I really want to ruin it for everyone else? Was I that petty?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that Adam was right. There would be other battles to fight this one wasn't worth the upset it would cause the other students. They weren't really to blame after all. They were just going along with what they were told because, like me, they didn't want to miss out on the most important dance of the year either. I think it was at that point that I'd really decided on leaving. I wasn't giving up or even giving in. I just didn't want to be a jerk or hurt anyone else the way I was hurting. Let them have their prom and enjoy it. It was a big deal, but it wasn't the end of the world. I'd survive. I still had Adam.

I sat up, about to put the car in gear when I heard a sharp knock at my window. Startled, I turned to see my best friend, Cheryl Loflin, leaning over and smiling at me. "Hey!" She squealed as she waved frantically at me. She looked good. Her hair was piled up on her head in a kind of up sweep and pinned down with a bedazzled clip. Ringlets of candy apple red hair overflowed, bobbing around her neck and shoulders, as loose wisps of curls framed her heart shaped face.

She was dressed in a knee length, pleated, emerald dress. It had a lacy V-neck bodice, and no sleeves. She was absolutely stunning and I had to smile as I looked her over. There was nothing that this girl couldn't do. She had a personality that was larger than life and a take no shit kind of attitude, but she was also the kindest person I had ever had the pleasure of meeting. I admired her and had a hell of a lot of respect for her plus, she always seemed to bring out the best in me no matter what kind of mood I was in. One smile and you couldn't be sad or pissed off anymore, not in her presence, it was impossible.